DC's fan-favorite teenage superhero team, Young Justice, is finally making its long-awaited return under the helm of writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Patrick Gleason. The title will spearhead Bendis' Wonder Comics imprint, which will focus on the younger heroes in the DC Universe.
Young Justice will reunite Robin (Tim Drake), Impulse (Bart Allen) and Superboy (Conner Kent) for the first time in the post-Rebirth continuity. Tim has operated as Red Robin since the New 52 launched in 2011, but Young Justice will see him return to the Robin moniker, currently occupied by Batman's son, Damian Wayne. Impulse made his Rebirth debut in the finale of the "Flash War" event. The only missing piece of the Young Justice "Trinity" puzzle is Conner Kent, but as DC's January 2019 solicitation reveals, his return is tied to the team's first mission back together.
Young Justice #1 will bring Robin, Impulse, Wonder Girl and Amethyst together when Gemworld -- the mystical dimension that Amethyst calls home -- comes crashing into Metropolis. Our guess is Amethyst will appear in Metropolis alongside Gemworld, with Robin and Impulse racing in to survey the situation and lend a helping hand. As for how Superboy's reappearance factors in, it's quite possible the Boy of Steel was lost in Gemworld when the New 52 was created. Or, the emergence of Gemworld opens a wormhole that frees Conner from wherever (or whenever) he's been lost.
It's curious Conner will return as Superboy the same month Jonathan Kent, also going by the name Superboy, makes his way back from his year-long space adventure in Superman #7. Of course, DC is hyping Jon's dramatic return with an all-new, all-different look, so perhaps this will differentiate the two Superboys enough for readers not to get confused. The cover to Young Justice #1 shows Conner in the costume fans are most familiar with, which features a black leather jacket and a red-and-blue costume underneath.
Below you can find the cover and solicitation text for January 2019's Young Justice #1:
YOUNG JUSTICE #1
- written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
- art and cover by PATRICK GLEASON
- variant cover by PATRICK GLEASON
- AMETHYST variant cover by TBD
- IMPULSE variant cover by TBC
- ROBIN variant cover by TBD
- SUPERBOY variant cover by TBD
- WONDER GIRL variant cover by TBD
- blank variant cover available
- Superboy! Wonder Girl! Robin! Impulse! Amethyst! They’re all united in YOUNG JUSTICE #1, the debut issue of a brand-new series that also introduces new heroes Teen Lantern and Jinny Hex!
- When the nightmare dimension known as Gemworld invades Metropolis, these teen heroes reunite to deal with the situation—but they’re shocked to discover the battle may be the key to the return of Conner Kent, a.k.a. Superboy! This mix of fan favorites and new legacy heroes will be the center point for some of the biggest goings-on at DC! As if that weren’t enough, Bendis reunites with all-star artist Patrick Gleason (SUPERMAN, ACTION COMICS, GREEN LANTERN CORPS) to bring the new heroes of DC’s Wonder Comics to life!
- ON SALE 01.09.19
- $4.99 US | 40 PAGES
- FC | RATED T+
- This issue will ship with seven covers.
- Please see the order form for details.
- Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.
Young Justice #1 by Brian Michael Bendis and Patrick Gleason goes on sale Jan. 9, 2019 from DC Comics.