When DC announced the return of the fan-favorite teen superhero team of Young Justice for writer Brian Michael Bendis' Wonder Comics imprint, the major attraction was reuniting the team's Trinity of Robin (Tim Drake), Superboy (Conner Kent) and Impulse (Bart Allen). However, familiar and new super-teens were also teased to fill out the new roster.
The cover to February 2019's Young Justice #2 provides a first look at the female members of the team, including new characters Teen Lantern and Jinny Hex, along with Wonder Girl and Amethyst.
Bendis has described the new Teen Lantern as a "Green Lantern hacker," possibly referring to how the young girl gains possession and control of one of the most powerful weapons in the DC Universe. Typically, a Green Lantern ring searches for a wearer who has an abundance of willpower, but Teen Lantern may find a way to bypass that requirement. Also, Teen Lantern appears to be a brown-skinned woman, which would have her follow in the footsteps of other recently created Green Lanterns like Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz.
Legacy hero Jinny Hex made her DC debut in Bendis and Nick Derington's Batman Giant #4, a Walmart-exclusive Dark Knight story. Batman pays Jinny a visit to ask her some questions regarding a family antique jeweled egg she donated to a museum. Jinny knows she's the great-great-granddaughter of western hero Jonah Hex, but it's clear there are other secrets she's hiding.
Returning Young Justice members Wonder Girl and Amethyst also debut on artist Patrick Gleason's cover with slightly updated looks. Wonder Girl's leather jacket is red instead of blue, and she's also shown wearing a skirt around her waist and a pair of headphones. Her shirt has the iconic Wonder Woman logo on the chest. As for Amethyst, she keeps her signature pink and purple color scheme throughout her hair, costume and sword.
The cover and solicitation for February's Young Justice #2 can be found below:
YOUNG JUSTICE #2
- written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
- art by PATRICK GLEASON and EMANUELA LUPACCHINO
- cover by PATRICK GLEASON
- variant cover by SANFORD GREENE
- The new teen super-team unites as Robin (Tim Drake), Wonder Girl, Teen Lantern and Jinny Hex join forces to help Amethyst free Gemworld from those who control it. In another section of the strange dimension, Connor Kent and Impulse find themselves taken captive—but if this is really Superboy, why isn’t he putting up a fight with his friend and former teammate against the bad guys?
- ON SALE 02.06.19
- $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
- FC | RATED T+
- This issue will ship with two covers.
- Please see the order form for details.