For many long-time comic book readers, the name "New Mutants" brings to mind a team of young, fresh-faced mutants who aren't fully in control of their powers. The current team, however, consists of mutants confident in abilities which, if not used correctly, could bring an end to the world as we know it.
The group has an Omega-level powered Shaman (albeit de-powered) in X-Man; they have an immensely powered technological being in Warlock; there's Legion, who remade the entire world with his abilities; and let's not forget Magik, who most recently possessed the power of the Phoenix (not to mention the fact that she controls a portal to Limbo). The remaining New Mutants' powers ain't nothing to sneeze at neither...
The team took a time-travel trip in recent issues and have now returned to a post-"AvX" world. What will it mean for them to have a teammate that was one of the Phoenix Five? And what will the team do when a couple of their members join the Avengers? X-POSITION contacted writers Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning ("DnA" to their fans) for answers. Let's see if we can squeeze a secret or two out of them...
We start things off with Ramelito, who has AvX anxieties. Can you offer some responses that will soothe his soul?
1) How will team react to Magik being part of the Phoenix Five?
The team's reaction to the situation with Magik and the aftermath of AvX will be explored in upcoming issues. Needless to say, these events will have a profound effect on the team as well as the Marvel Universe as a whole.
2) Why do you think the Phoenix force wasn't drawn to Nate Grey, especially considering ties to Jean?
Probably because he was displaced in time and space when the events concerning the Phoenix Force unfolded.
3) In light of what has occurred with Cyclops and the Phoenix Five, how badly do you believe the team feels for siding with Cyclops instead of Wolverine?
Their decisions were made at the time of the events of Schism and were prompted by their loyalties to Cyclops and the ideals he believed in. What happened to him as AvX developed couldn't be foreseen by anyone, even Cyclops himself. This is something covered in the upcoming issue #50 of "New Mutants" in a conversation between Dani and Wolverine.
4) Will we get to see the team's reaction to Xavier's death?
Not directly because of the time scale involved in writing the various issues and when they need to be completed by, but we see their reaction to the aftermath of AvX in issue #50.
Nissus is next and he's wondering if he could get some status updates:
1) What is the actual situation with Nate Grey as a Shaman? I reckon it's a role that's not suited for him anymore, and he should slowly rewind to his older original self. Do you have plans for him in the near future?
Nate's character and powers are slowly evolving as he comes to terms with his new 'de-powered' state. It's a situation that will unfold and develop in the future.
2) Is the Hel-cub still in the group? Will it be revealed what is going to happen to him?
He's still in their care, but what the future holds is still unwritten.
Andre4000 has been reading the Marvel NOW! news and hopes you can tell him how upcoming events will affect his favorite team...
1) Now that Sunspot and Cannonball are going to be Avengers (as part of Marvel NOW!), what's going to happen to the rest of the team?
We can't reveal anything as of yet, but things will be revealed as Marvel NOW! rolls out.
2) With Legion moving to "X-Men: Legacy," will any of the team be joining him in that book?
Answer is same as above.
3) Will the team stay in San Francisco or will they be heading to the east coast as part of Marvel NOW?
As above, sorry.
And that's strike three! Well, we had to ask...
Captain Cavalier is our final customer, and I believe his queries cover topics that won't spoil upcoming surprises:
1) In 'Fear the Future,' you told a time-travel story. As writers, what kinds of concerns do you have when telling these kinds of stories? What time-travel rules do you believe are most important and which are flexible?