Official Press Release
Portland, Oregon – Wonder Woman debuted in American comic books during World War II, and was the super-heroic star of a popular television series in the 1970s. Now, as a charity benefit for Portland’s most protective women and children’s shelters – Raphael House and Bradley-Angel House – Excalibur Comics will host “Wonder Woman Day” on Sunday, October 29th from 2pm to 6pm. The free all-ages event will include a trio of comic book artists signing Wonder Woman comics and special art prints, as well as a silent art auction with over 100 of the world’s top artists contributing original art, plus raffles, costumes, rare memorabilia, and more!
Producing the event is best-selling author and DVD documentary director Andy Mangels, who is also the curator of the online Wonder Woman Museum, and one of the world’s top experts on the famed super-heroine. “Wonder Woman represents peace, strength, equality, and honesty,” Mangels said. “Her mission to promote those ideals has been detailed in comic books, novels, and television for over sixty years. This special event will allow fans and the public to celebrate the character and the people who create her adventures today, as well as to see and buy some incredible materials about the ‘Amazing Amazon,’ all while raising money for two incredibly worthy causes.”
Full details about the event are included below.
Kristan Knapp, Development Director of Bradley-Angle House, says, “Because Wonder Woman is such an icon of independence and activism, Bradley-Angle House is thrilled to benefit from the festivities. Our portion of the proceeds will provide much needed funding for our advocacy and peer support programs. We hope that Wonder Woman fans throughout the Portland area will join us in celebrating the boundless possibilities for self-empowered women everywhere.”
Jessica Elkin, Director of Development of Raphael House of Portland notes that the charity, “appreciates the opportunity to work with Andy Mangels on “Wonder Woman Day” and will work closely with our public relations committee, communications manager and the Public Relations Society of America to promote this event. October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month and this provides an additional opportunity for media coverage and community involvement.”
About the Wonder Woman Day event, M. Pete Marston says, “Speaking as the son of W. M. Marston, the creator of Wonder Woman, and, being the oldest living contributor to the early scripting of the Wonder Woman comic, I have to say that the “Wonder Woman Day” event in Portland sounds just terrific! I truly hope that both Raphael House and Bradley-Angle House benefit greatly from the day. In fact, it would be fantastic if you could establish a national event for similar organizations. Great Hera, wouldn’t that be something?”
Full Event Details:
Wonder Woman Day
Sunday, October 29, 2006 — 2pm-6pm, FREE
Excalibur Comics, 2444 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, Oregon
An ALL AGES benefit and celebration for two shelters for Women and Children!
Raphael House of Portland and Bradley-Angle House
A part of National Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
SPECIAL GUESTS SIGNING:
Guests will have special Prints to sign, given away Free
* Terry Dodson (current artist of Wonder Woman) 2-4pm only
* Matthew Clark (current artist of Superman, past artist of Wonder Woman)
* Anne Timmons (current artist of Go Girl!)
SILENT ART AUCTION
Over 100 artists from the comic book, newspaper comic strip, animation, and fine art worlds have donated original art depicting Wonder Woman for this event. All original art will be on display at Excalibur Comics until the event, and at the Wonder Woman Museum website! The Silent Auction will take place the day of the event. Bidders need not be present to win, however, their bid must be on the bid sheet. Details about PROXY bidding, to allow for off-site bids, will be on the website from October 23-28th.
Artists contributing include such luminaries as Adam Hughes (Wonder Woman), Alex Ross (Justice, Kingdom Come), Bill Morrison (The Simpsons), Dan Piraro (Bizarro comic strip), David Lloyd (V For Vendetta), Gilbert Hernandez (Love & Rockets), Jaime Hernandez (Love & Rockets), and John Romita Sr. (Spider-Man).
Additional art showcases the incredible talents of Aaron Sowd, Alex Robinson, Allison Sohn, Anne Timmons, Arnold Pander, Bernie Mireault, Bill Black, Bill Maus, Bill Morrison, Billy Tan, Bob McCleod, Brad Rader, Brian Williamson, Bryan Hitch, Carla Speed McNeil, Chaz Truog, Colleen Coover, Colleen Doran, Dan Panosian, Dan Parent, Darwyn Cooke, Dave Hoover, Dave Johnson, David Chelsea, David Hahn, Dennis Janke, Denys Cowan, Dick Giordano, Don Perlin, Donna Barr, Eduardo Pansica, Eric Wight, Eric Wolfe Hanson, Franchesco, Fred Hembeck, Gary Frank, Gary Martin, Geof Isherwood, Greg Horn, Greg Moutafis, Guy Davis, Howard Bender, Howard Cruse, Ivan Velez Jr, J.A. Fludd, Janet Hetherington, Jay Stephens, Jerry Carr, Jim Mahfood, Jim Mooney, Joe Benitez, Joe Rubinstein, Joe Staton, John McCrea, José Carlos, Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, Joseph Linsner, Marat Mychaels, Mark Nagata, Mark Pennington, Mark Spears, Mark Wheatley, Matt Clark, Matt Haley, Michael Dooney, Michael T. Gilbert, Mike Allred, Milton Knight, Norm Breyfogle, Paige Braddock, Pat Moriarity, Patrick Fillion, Paul Guinan, Paul Gulacy, Paul T. Gould, Phil Yeh, Randy Emberlin, Richard Howell, Roberta Gregory, Rodney Buchemi, Ronn Sutton, Ryan Sook, Sam Glanzman, Shannon Wheeler, Shawn McManus, Steve Lieber, Steve Rolston, Steve Rude, Steve Sadowski, Terry Dodson, Tod Smith, Todd Nauck, and more to come!
* Most of the art will be matted, and some framed, thanks to donations by Jason Jones and Aeroframe Gallery in Oregon City. The event poster was designed by Richard J. Fowlks, and printing was donated by Documart Printing and TIS Grafx.
* autographed Miss America book, CD, & photos from Katie Harman, Miss America 2002
* a signed Allan Heinberg Wonder Woman comic book script and rare variant comic book
* an art piece of a woman warrior by Brian Snoddy
* prints and greeting cards by David Delamare
* merchandise and greeting cards from John Lustig at www.LastKissComics.com
plus merchandise and promotional items from:
* DC Comics and DC Direct
* Diamond Comic Distributors
* Graphitti Designs (Wonder Woman t-shirts)
* Pocket Books (JLA and Wonder Woman books)
* Vandor (Wonder Woman limited edition cookie jar, metal boxes, mirror)
* Junk Food Apparel (Wonder Woman t-shirts and sweats-wear)
* Andrews McMeel Publishing (DC Covergirls 2007 Calendar)
* Upper Deck Entertainment (VS JLA card game packs)
* Ink & Paint DVDs (He-Man and She-Ra DVDs)
* Pendant Productions (full-cast audio drama Wonder Woman CDs)
* Fans can take photos with a gorgeous “Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman” mannequin.
* Attendees can see an exhibit of rare Wonder Woman collectibles.
* Anyone of any age who comes dressed in a super-hero costume will get free prizes!
* The Canadian TV crew from the show FANatical will be filming the event
for a Wonder Woman-themed episode spotlighting comic professionals/collectors Andy Mangels and Anina Bennett!
* More excitement to be announced!
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!