An article recently published by The Hollywood Reporter focuses on Warner Bros. less than stellar summer, the second in a row in which the studio came in third in box office dollars earned during the moneymaking season. This past summer saw the studio release a number of under-performers ("The Man from U.N.C.L.E.," "Hot Pursuit," "Entourage" and "Magic Mike XXL") and no film crossing the $500 million worldwide mark.
The disappointing numbers look even more so when you consider that Warner Bros. originally had potential blockbuster "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" scheduled for July 17, 2015 -- until they bumped it to March of 2016. WB CEO Kevin Tsujihara is quoted in the article as saying that he knew that 2015 would be rough going into the year and that bumping "BvS" was a strategic move that he believes will pay off.
"It was a tough decision at the time because it was going to create a hole in 2015," said Tsujihara. "But it was absolutely the right decision for the franchise, for DC and the movie. Having seen the movie multiple times, and again last night, I'm extremely confident it was the right decision to make the movie better. And it's so important for the studio to get the foundation right on DC."
This comment follows a previous rumor, originally reported at Den of Geek, that the film had been screened for WB executives and received a standing ovation. It should be noted that Tsujihara's comment doesn't confirm the standing ovation rumor; he only says that he's seen the movie multiple times and is confident in the decision to move the film's release date, not the film itself. The interview does, however, confirm that there is a cut of the film ready and it has been screened internally, apparently more than once.
"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" opens on March 25, 2016.