Welcome to the Comics Should Be Good 2018 Top 100 Comic Book Writers and Artists poll!
Yes, it's been another four years already! This year, we had a BONUS Top 100 poll, but this is the "official" next one in line in our yearly Top 100 polls. It's time to vote for your top ten all-time favorite comic book writers and artists!
Here's the deal. You folks have the chance to vote until 11:59 PM Eastern time, November 30th. I'll tabulate all the votes and I'll begin a countdown of the winners starting December 3rd or 4th!
Okay, here are the guidelines!
1. Vote by e-mailing me your ballot at firstname.lastname@example.org. Put in your subject heading something along the lines of "Top Writers and Artists Vote." It doesn't have to be that precise phrasing, but something along those lines. Just so that I know that your e-mail is your ballot for sorting purposes.
2. You're going to be voting for twenty people in total here. Your ten favorite comic book writers AND your ten favorite comic book artists. Vote for TEN each - less than ten writers and ten artists and I don't count your ballot.
3. Rank your ten favorite comic book writers and artists from #1 (your most favorite) to #10 (your 10th most favorite). I'd prefer it if you actually numbered your entry, #1-10. It's easier for me to count.
Here's a template you can use as a guide. You can just copy and paste it into your e-mail:
TOP TEN COMIC BOOK WRITERS AND ARTISTS
4. Your top choice will be given 10 points, your second choice 9, etc.
5. This is for writers and artists who worked primarily in the field of comic books and graphic novels, not comic strips. Vote accordingly. There are many amazing comic strip creators out there, but this is primarily a comic book website, so it wouldn't be fair to the comic strip artists (you'd have, like, Charles Schulz #48 or something like that and it would be ridiculous).
6. Vote for ten artists and ten writers. You have to have ten writers and ten artists you like! Less than ten artists and ten writers and I will not count your ballot.
7. I get that it is difficult to rank certain creators like Chris Ware, who both write and draw, but just try to do your best. So if you really like Ware, for instance, feel free to put him #1 on both lists.
8. Vote for ten artists and ten writers. Less than ten artists and ten writers and I will not count your ballot.
9. Plotters count as writers. So if you are just a fan of Keith Giffen's plots, feel free to vote for him as a writer. If you want to vote for Jack Kirby's plots or Steve Ditko's plots, go for it.
10. Teams are a pain in the ass, but I think I'm going to go with you have to split them up unless they have ONLY worked as a team. So Giffen and DeMatteis don't count as one vote. I know it is tough to break them up if you like their JLI work, but do your best. If that means having one ranked #1 and one ranked #2 on your list, then so be it. Same with Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. Or Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Or Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. It's tough, but I have faith in you.
11. I'll make various other decisions in the interest of fairness. If you have questions and or requests for clarification, feel free to e-mail me your question (try to make the subject clear that it is a question and not a ballot, so I will answer it) and I will add extra clarification here for anything that confuses people.
CLARIFICATION A: Manga writers and artists are eligible for the vote. They have showed up on our past few lists. I can't promise that they'll make this current list and I know that they probably won't be as high as they "should," but they'll hopefully get some recognition.
Most importantly, have fun!
Now vote! :)