Welcome to the Comics Should Be Good Top 100 Comic Book Writers and Artists poll!
Yes, it's been another four years already (I was shocked to learn that this is only the second time that we've done this particular poll on this site. The first time I did this poll it was on the CBR forums)! It's time to vote for your top ten all-time favorite comic book writers and artists!
Here's the deal. You folks all vote in the comments section here up until 11:59 PM Eastern time, November 30th. I'll tabulate all the votes and I'll begin a countdown of the winners starting December 3rd or 4th!
Okay, here are the guidelines!
1. Vote in the comments section below, making sure to include that classic word "ACBC" somewhere in your comment so your vote will be marked invisible.
2. You're going to be voting for twenty people in total here. Your ten favorite comic book writers AND your ten favorite comic book artists. Vote for TEN each - less than ten writers and ten artists and I don't count your ballot.
3. Rank your ten favorite comic book writers and artists from #1 (your most favorite) to #10 (your 10th most favorite). I'd prefer it if you actually numbered your entry, #1-10. It's easier for me to count. On that note, please also avoid listing them like this "1) 2) 3) 4)," because 8 with a ) after it transforms into a smiley face in the comments section (this one 8) ). Just plain ol' "1. 2. 3." works best.
Here's a template you can use as a guide. You can just copy and paste it into your comment:
TOP TEN COMIC BOOK WRITERS AND ARTISTS
4. Your top choice will be given 10 points, your second choice 9, etc.
5. Make sure to include ACBC in your ballot.
6. This is for writers and artists who worked primarily in the field of comic books and graphic novels, not comic strips. Vote accordingly.
7. Vote for ten artists and ten writers. You have to have ten writers and ten artists you like! Less than ten artists and ten writers and I will not count your ballot.
8. I get that it is difficult to rank certain creators like Chris Ware, who both write and draw, but just try to do your best. So if you really like Ware, for instance, feel free to put him #1 on both lists.
9. Make sure to include ACBC in your ballot.
10. Vote for ten artists and ten writers. Less than ten artists and ten writers and I will not count your ballot.
11. Plotters count as writers. So if you are just a fan of Keith Giffen's plots, feel free to vote for him as a writer. If you want to vote for Jack Kirby's plots or Steve Ditko's plots, go for it.
12. Teams are a pain in the ass, but I think I'm going to go with you have to split them up unless they have ONLY worked as a team. So Giffen and DeMatteis don't count as one vote. I know it is tough to break them up if you like their JLI work, but do your best. If that means having one ranked #1 and one ranked #2 on your list, then so be it. Same with Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. Or Stan Lee/Jack Kirby. Or Stan Lee/Steve Ditko.
13. Make sure to include ACBC in your ballot.
14. I'll make various other decisions in the interest of fairness.
If you have questions and or requests for clarification, feel free to ask them in the comments section below.
Remember, please include the following word: ACBC - on your ballot. It will make it so your ballot appears invisible to other readers, so only I can read it (and count your vote secretly).
Most importantly, have fun!
Now vote! :)