In honor of the fiftieth anniversary of the X-Men, we’re doing a poll for the 50 Greatest X-Men Stories this month!
The X-Men have had many great stories over the years, from one-shot issues to multi-issue stories to, well, sagas. So here you will be casting your vote for who you feel are the greatest X-Men stories!
You folks all vote in the comments section here up until 11:59 Pacific time, July 18th. I’ll tabulate all the votes and I’ll begin a countdown of the top 50 beginning July 21st.
Okay, here are the guidelines!
1. Vote in the comments section below, making sure to include that classic word “ACBC” somewhere in your comment so your vote will be marked invisible.
2. Vote for your TEN favorite X-Men stories.
3. Rank your ten stories from #1 (what you think is the greatest story) to #10 (what you think is the 10th greatest). I’d prefer it if you actually numbered your entry, #1-10. It’s easier for me to count. On that note, please also avoid listing them like this “1) 2) 3) 4),” because 8 with a ) after it transforms into a smiley face in the comments section (this one 8) ). Just plain ol’ “1. 2. 3.” works best. Really, just use this template:
4. Your top choice will be given 10 points, your second choice 9, etc.
5. Ultimate X-Men stories count, because, well, I counted Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimates stories so it only seemed fair.
6. Now for the most annoying part of the rules. What is the definition of a particular story? First off, runs are not stories. To wit, you can’t pick, say, Byrne and Claremont’s X-Men and call it a story. It is not. That is a rune made up of a bunch of different stories, like the Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past. Or you can’t just say Joss Whedon’s Astonishing X-Men or Grant Morrison’s New X-Men. You have to vote for the individual arcs.
7. House of M and Onslaught can count as an X-Men story (and obviously, Inferno and Avengers vs. X-Men are X-Men stories), but otherwise, company-wide crossovers do not count as X-Men stories.
8. Mini-series count as one story. Like X-Men: Children of the Atom or X-Men Fairy Tales.
9. Unlike Avengers, we’re specifying only book starring the main X-Men teams here, so no New Mutants or New X-Men (the one with X-23 on it) or X-Force or Uncanny X-Force or Uncanny Avengers or X-Statix or Generation X or Generation Hope or Wolverine or X-Factor or Excalibur or XTC or Xena the Warrior Princess or X-Files. Except, of course, when these titles are parts of crossovers involving the X-Men, like X-Cutioner’s Song, Second Coming, etc. We’re talking just X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Treme X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, New X-Men (Morrison’s run), Wolverine and the X-Men, X-Men Legacy, All-New X-Men and that’s it.
9. Make sure to include ACBC in your ballot.
10. If you have questions and/or requests for clarification, feel free to ask them in the comments section below. If you’re unsure of something, probably better to ask BEFORE you vote. You have two weeks to vote, ya know?
11. I’ll list notable rulings in this section here as we go along:
A) Mike Carey and Christos Gage’s X-Men Legacy counts, but not Si Spurrier’s X-Men Legacy.
B) Co-headline books like X-Men/Micronauts, X-Men vs. Fantastic Four, etc. count.
C) Marvel Team-Up and Marvel Two-in-One can count as co-headline books.
D) “From the Ashes,” the trade collecting most of Paul Smith’s X-Men run, is not one story. Vote for the stories in that volume individually.
E) An issue of X-Men spotlighting a single member still counts as an X-Men story for this voting.
F) The Asgardian Wars counts as one story, not two (the X-Men/Alpha Flight mini-series and the New Mutants/X-Men one-shots)
G) Lifedeath counts as one story
H) God Loves/Man Kills is eligible.
I) Claremont/Byrne’s World Tour storyline is broken into its composite stories (Savage Land, Japan, fight versus Alpha Flight)
J) For Dark Phoenix Saga, the Hellfire Club storyline with the classic Wolverine scene counts as part of it.
Remember, please include the following word: ACBC – on your ballot. It will make it so your ballot appears invisible to other readers, so only I can read it (and count your vote secretly).
Most importantly, have fun!
Now vote! 🙂
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!