Okay, I’ll admit, I totally got the dates wrong on the solicitations. I thought I had one more week before Marvel and DC’s new solicitations were out. My bad! Oh well, I guess I might as well do the December ones now, instead.
But to keep as a fill-in, here are my picks for the November 2008 solicitations for Marvel Comics.
I love a lot of the subtle touches Gerald Parel puts into this cover, but in the end, I don’t think any one of them stands out enough for the cover to really “pop.”
I think the cover theme of these Magneto covers by Marko Djurdjevic is going to be growing old soon.
Okay, it grew old already.
Still, otherwise, great cover.
Speaking of Djurdjevic, besides his ability to depict motion through mostly using odd angles (something Alex Ross also does to great effect sometimes), he also knows how to draw an action cover – you depict the action directly PRECEDING the action the readers presumably WANT to see.
These two covers are examples of this idea…
Good work by Djurdjevic.
Arthur Suydam goes a little too far in my book, but on the whole, it is still a very well-designed cover.
A stunning piece of work by Clayton Henry – I don’t recall any of his work ever being THIS dynamic!
This Gerald Parel cover is a bit more striking, and I especially love the way he uses the fade effect to make the main character stand out that much more.
5. The only thing keeping this awesome Marcos Martin cover this low is the fact that yeah, it’s a bit of a cliched cover idea.
Still, wow, what a great cover.
4. Dave Johnson gives us probably the best Punisher cover featuring Jigsaw, well, ever.
Strong design work there.
3. Stuart Immonen delivers a striking Venom cover for Ultimate Spider-Man.
The force and ominiousness of the cover are amazing.
2. Mark Brooks showing that computer art can occasionally look amazing with this cover featuring Rogue.
1. New Thunderbolts cover artist Francesco “Matt” Mattina helps out incoming writer Andy Diggle a lot with this alluring and mysterious cover that manages to stand out while still maintaining subtle charms (unlike the Parel cover on top that has the subtle charm but does not stand out as much).
That’s my top five! Agree? Disagree? Let me know!
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!