Before delivering the top two runs, I figure I’d address some questions/concerns I have seen here and there.
1. Yes, this is a “favorites” list. I think I saw someone say, “They should just make this a ‘favorites’ list,” but that’s what this is.
2. On the note of “favorites,” that is why I’m allowing current runs, because a big part of this list is to be as inclusionary as possible, I want to see what the readers of this blog think, not “readers of this blog who have read enough older works to qualify” or whatever. This is just to see what folks who read this blog are into, which is why current runs are allowed (as quite a number of voters ONLY listed recent runs – okay, not quite a number, but more than, like, twenty!).
3. Top Ten only ended up as 12 issues, but that was not the intent when it was written (same with Nextwave). League of Extraordinary Gentlemen counts because it is, you know, STILL GOING, hence it counting as an ONGOING title (Moore plans on publishing new League stories indefinitely). It’s just like Hellboy.
4. Claremont’s X-Men and Lee’s Spider-Man are unique cases because the most prominent artists on the runs actually WROTE the comics with them. You can’t call it “Lee’s Spider-Man” when Ditko was coming up with the plots. Similarly, while most of Claremont’s run was only Claremont, the most famous run was co-written by John Byrne. So you have to count that as separate, because it wasn’t Claremont writing, it was Claremont AND Byrne. This is different from other long runs of one writer that had different “eras,” like, say, Peter David’s Hulk or Mark Gruenwald’s Captain America, which were all written by David and Gruenwald, respectively. And once you’ve split up the Byrne stuff, you might as well split up the other artists, too, right? Especially since Jim Lee also co-plotted the book (I forget, did Cockrum co-plot as well?).
5. 682 people is a LOT of people for a survey, especially for something as niche-y as “comic book fans.”
Hmmm…I think that’s it.
Okay, on to the top two! 🙂
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!