A list of 15 movies has been created for consideration by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for the Achievement in Visual Effects award. While the list is very geek-oriented, it should be noted that there are no less than four comic book-based movies, with Captain America: The First Avenger, Cowboys & Aliens, Thor and X-Men: First Class getting nods.
The list of 15 will be shortened to 10 by the Academy's Visual Effects Branch Executive Committee. Those movies will have 10-minute excerpts screened by the Visual Effects Branch, which will then vote on which five movies will be up for the award. Odds seem pretty good that a comic movie will be up for the Oscar and nearly perfect for a genre movie to not only make the cut but take that shiny gold statue home.
Here's the full list of features under consideration:
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Cowboys & Aliens
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
- Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Real Steel
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
- Sucker Punch
- Super 8
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon
- The Tree of Life
- X-Men: First Class
The nominees for the 84th annual Academy Awards will be announced Jan. 24. The winners will be presented Feb. 26.