The finalists have been announced for the 2015 Doug Wright Awards, which recognize the best in English-language comics by Canadians.
The awards are named for Doug Wright, the late cartoonist whose strip Doug Wright’s Family appeared for more than 30 years in newspapers across the country. The winners will be announced May 9 at a ceremony held during the Toronto Comic Arts Festival.
In addition to the nominees in three categories, awards organizers announced that longtime London Free Press editorial cartoonist Merle “Ting” Tingley will be inducted into the Giants of the North: The Canadian Cartoonist Hall of Fame.
The nominees are:
Dough Wright Award for Best Book
• Ant Colony, by Michael DeForge (Drawn & Quarterly)
• Fatherland, by Nina Bunjevac (Jonathan Cape/Random House)
• Safari Honeymoon, by Jesse Jacobs (Koyama Press)
• The People Inside, by Ray Fawkes (Oni Press)
• This One Summer, by Jillian Tamaki and Mariko Tamaki (Groundwood/First Second)
Doug Wright Spotlight Award (aka “The Nipper”), which recognizes Canadian cartoonists deserving of wider recognition
• Aaron Costain, for Entropy #10
• Elisabeth Belliveau for One Year in America (Conundrum Press)
• Julie Delporte, for Everywhere Antennas (Drawn & Quarterly)
• Meags Fitzgerald, for Photobooth: A Biography (Conundrum Press)
• Simon Roy for Tiger Lung (Dark Horse)
• Sophie Yanow, for War of Streets and Houses (Uncivilized Books)
Pigskin Peters Award, which recognizes the best in experimental or avant-garde comics
• Comics Collection 2010-2013 and Less Than Dust by Julien Ceccaldi
• Great Success! 1983-2013 by Henriette Valium (Crna Hronika)
• New Comics #3-5 by Patrick Kyle (Mother Books)
• Undocumented: The Architecture of Migrant Detention by Tings Chak (The Architecture Observer)
• “Swinespritzen” by Connor Willumsen
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!