The brainchild of Canadian comic book publisher and editor Hope Nicholson, the anthology features a multitude of female writers and artists sharing their stories in both text and comic format, with Atwood being the most high-profile contributor on the list. According to the book’s successful Kickstarter, the project “collects successes as well as embarrassments, examines the fandoms that we ship, and reassures us that no matter what we’re going through or have gone through, we are never alone.” The campaign earned $122,286 in total, nearly $100k over its goal of $37,000.
The impressive creators list includes newcomers and veterans alike, such as Margaret Atwood, Meaghan Carter, Megan Kearney, ALB, Jen Vaughn, Meags Fitzgerald, Gillan G., Diana Nock, Roberta Gregory, Laura Neubert, Sarah Winifred Searle, Natalie Smith, Jenn Woodall, Mariko Tamaki/Fiona Smyth, Irene Koh, Fionna Adams/Jen Vaughn, Annie Mok, Renee Nault, Jen Bartel, Sanya Anwar, Kristen Gudsnuk and Sam Maggs.
“These are the stories we bond over when we get together at a comic con, play video games, and marathon ‘Star Trek,'” Nicholson shared in a statement. “They are stories about the loves of our lives (both real and fictional!), and our embarrassing moments as we grow and learn more about the complex worlds of love and dating, especially as they relate to our fandom obsessions. All of the writers and artists involved — especially me — are incredibly excited to work with Dark Horse and bring our stories into comic and book stores worldwide.”
According to the press release, the anthology includes,
• Cartoons by award-winning novelist Margaret Atwood that detail her personal experiences as a young woman
• A comic by Fionna Adams and Jen Vaughn about what it’s like being a trans woman trying to figure out romantic and sexual inclinations while entrenched in comics
• A story by Mariko Tamaki and Fiona Smyth in which a seventeen-year-old Tamaki dreams of being Montreal’s first chubby Asian Frank N. Furter
• A story by Marguerite Bennett about fandom and how it allows us to say what we feel to our loved ones
• New comics by Meaghan Carter, Megan Kearney, ALB, Meags Fitzgerald, Gillian G., Diana Nock, Roberta Gregory, Laura Neubert, Sarah Winifred Searle, Natalie Smith, Jenn Woodall, and Irene Koh
• Illustrated stories by Janet Hetherington, Sam Maggs and Selena Goulding, Megan Lavey-Heaton and Isabelle MelanÃ§on, Cherelle Ann Sarah Higgins and Rachael Wells, Annie Mok, and Stephanie Cooke and Deena Pagliarello
• Prose stories by Brandy Dawley, Diana McCallum, Jen Aprahamian, Katie West, Adrienne Kress, Soha Kareem, Loretta Jean, J. M. Frey, Trina Robbins, Twiggy Tallant, Hope Nicholson, Crystal Skillman, Emma Woolley, Gita Jackson, Natalie Zina Walschots, Alicia Contestabile, Tini Howard, Cara Ellison, Jessica Oliver Proulx, and Erin Cossar
“The Secret Loves of Geek Girls” will hit shelves at an unspecified date in October 2016.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!