Ask any comic book reader to recite their favorite superhero's origin story, and the odds are they wouldn't miss a beat. Taking the DC Universe as an example, Superman was sent to Earth as a baby after Krypton's destruction, Batman witnessed his parents being murdered right in front of his eyes, and The Flash is the result of his body being zapped by a lightning bolt and chemicals inside his laboratory.
From there each hero's journey is slightly different, but for the most part fans don't get to witness the on-the-job training that takes place in their first year. However, fans will get the chance to see the early days of DC's Scarlet Speedster in "The Flash Year One" story arc.
Writer Joshua Williamson and artist Howard Porter race off the starting block in a preview of May's The Flash #70, as we see Barry Allen working a homicide case alongside August Heart. Of course, August Heart is the alter-ego of the villain Godspeed, who was The Flash's first nemesis in the DC Rebirth era. But before they became bitter rivals, Barry and August were coworkers on the Central City Police Department.
Another character reintroduced is Iris West, who would love to score a one-on-one interview with Central City's favorite crime scene investigator. Iris' introduction brings with it newspaper headlines containing clever Easter eggs to members of Flash's infamous Rogues, including Gorilla Grodd, Heat Wave, Weather Wizard, Golden Glider and Trickster.
Finally, the last page of the preview takes readers back to the night that changed Barry Allen's life forever, and set him on the path to becoming The Fastest Man Alive.
The Flash #70, by Joshua Williamson and Howard Porter, goes on sale May 8 from DC. You can check out CBR's exclusive preview, below.
THE FLASH #70
- written by JOSHUA WILLIAMSON
- art and cover by HOWARD PORTER
- variant cover by TONI INFANTE
- “The Flash Year One” starts here! Barry Allen feels helpless in his life in Central City. As a forensic scientist, he’s always catching criminals after they’ve committed their crimes. All that changes one fateful night when Barry is struck by a bolt of lightning and doused in chemicals. When he wakes from a coma, he realizes he can run at incredible speeds. Can Barry master these powers and be the hero his city needs...or will the powers burn through him?
- ON SALE 05.08.19
- $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
- FC | RATED T
- This issue will ship with two covers.