Do you consider yourself the World's Leading Superman Expert? So does Mark Waid, and the Eisner Award-winning writer is perfectly willing to share the title with you -- if you can ace his World's Toughest Superman Quiz, that is!
On the occasion of Superman's 75th Birthday (the first appearance of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster's most famous creation, "Action Comics" #1, was published on April 18th, 1938), the life-long Superman fan surprised CBR earlier this week with a list of the 10 toughest Superman trivia questions he could think of. Now it's your turn to test your knowledge of one of the greatest super heroes ever.
1) What's Clark Kent's Social Security Number?
092-09-6616. If you didn't even get this one right, give up now. ("Action Comics" #340)
2) Gold Kryptonite strips Kryptonians of their super-powers. What's its radius of effect?
Two feet. ("World's Finest Comics" #159)
3) What was the maiden name of Kal-El's mother, Lara?
Lor-Van. ("Superman" #233)
4) What was Lana Lang's mother's maiden name?
Maybe my favorite Superman trivia question, because you have to do the math. Lana Lang had an uncle who was a regular supporting cast member in the Superman series--but since his last name wasn't "Lang," he had to have been Lana's mother's brother. His name was Professor Potter. Thank you, I'll be here all week.
5) Throughout the 1940s and 1950s, Superman used his x-ray vision to produce heat waves. When was the very first mention of "heat vision" as a separate super-power?
"Action Comics" #275.
6) Superman's general given date of birth is February 29th. Clark Kent's is June 18th, the day his rocket landed on Earth. What was Superman's date of birth on the Kryptonian calendar?
The 35th of Eorx, year 9998. ("Action Comics" #429)
7) According to the Adventures of Superman radio program, who gave Superman the name "Clark Kent"?
Unlike in the comics, the radio Superman aged during his rocket-trip from Krypton and landed on Earth as a full-grown adult (in costume, no less). The alias "Clark Kent" was given to him by, literally, the first two earthlings he met, who (after he saved their lives) suggested he might want to not call so much attention to himself all the time and might want a secret identity. They pulled the name "Clark Kent" out of the air.
8) Who was the first criminal banished to the Phantom Zone, and what was his crime?
Jax-Ur, whose forbidden experiments with nuclear rockets destroyed one of Krypton's moons. ("DC Comics Presents" #97 and others)
9) What was the name of the school bully who tormented teenage Clark Kent?
"Bash" Bashford. ("Superboy" #157 and others)
10) The Bizarros, imperfect duplicates of Superman and his friends, had their own cube-shaped world--and their own peculiar chant. Recite the Bizarro Code.
"Us do opposite of all Earthly things! Us hate beauty! Us love ugliness! Is big crime to make anything perfect on Bizarro World!"