Solo: A Star Wars Story star Paul Bettany has weighed in on the Han Solo spinoff. In addition to calling the film a "gangster movie," Bettany praised Ron Howard and revealed that the director conducted reshoots much more extensive than what had been planned.
"His staging ability is so fucking brilliant," Bettany told Total Film. "I think he went in and he was like a laser, working out what needed to be done when he looked at the footage. And then, as things moved on, everybody felt so secure with him. And they gave him more. He reshot a lot more than was originally intended."
Disney and Lucasfilm surprised everyone when they fired directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller back in June while filming was still well underway for Solo: A Star Wars Story. Following the news of their departure, rumors began circulating that Lucasfilm was looking at director Ron Howard to come in and finish filming on the project, which still had several weeks of principal photography remaining. Howard was later officially confirmed to helm take over the project, and ultimately ended up reshooting much more than initially thought.
Much like Howard, Bettany joined the project late in the game to replace actor Michael K. Williams, who was forced to exit the project due to scheduling conflicts. Bettany's casting was first revealed online via a set of photos posted by both the actor and Howard on Twitter, although at the time it wasn't entirely clear just which role he'd have in the forthcoming film. According to reports, most of Williams' character will remain intact with Bettany on board, though it is said the character will instead be human under Howard's direction.
Based on a script by Lawrence and Jon Kasdan, Solo: A Star Wars Story stars Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian, Joonas Suotamo as Chewbacca, Emilia Clarke, Thandie Newton, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Michael K. Williams and Woody Harrelson. The film arrives May 25, 2018.