Welcome to the latest installment of your breath of snark free air!
COOL COMIC THING
Okay, everyone pretty much knows that John Byrne’s run on the Fantastic Four as the writer and artist of the book was pretty much awesome on toast, right?
With that being a given, I want to highlight today some of the cool comic things that Byrne did on his run (just fairly minor, albeit awesome, stuff – not stuff that really impacted the plots of the comic)
First off, he did two neat cover homages during his run.
First to the first issue of the Fantastic Four (something that Byrne has now done many times on different titles)…
Then a funny homage to the cover of Action Comics #1…
Speaking of homages, check out this neat panel from an issue where Spider-Man guest-starred…
Pretty darn clever, huh?
Speaking of clever, how about the sideways issue of the Fantastic Four?
Another nice touch by Byrne was this awesome double-page spread from the classic Fantastic Four #247, showing a wartorn Latveria (click on the image to enlarge)…
About a year later, Byrne basically gives the fan an update on Latveria, artistically (click on the image to enlarge)…
Ain’t that sumthin’?
Byrne’s Fantastic Four had a contest where people could send in new hairstyles for Sue, and the top two would have their style drawn BY Byrne! How cool is that?!?
Here are the two winners…
Byrne, like a lot of the other notable Marvel writers of the time, went out of his way to promote one of Marvel’s more underrated series, Louise Simonson’s Power Pack.
Check out the prominent guest spot Byrne gives to the Pack (click to enlarge the image)…
And doesn’t he do a really nice job of drawing them like actual children?
John Byrne’s Fantastic Four – filled with cool comic things!
COVER THEME GAME
As always, here is the game. I show three covers. They all have something in common, whether it be a character, a trait all three characters share, locale, creator, SOMEthing. And it isn’t something obvious like “They all have prices!” “They all have logos!” “They all feature a man!” etc.
In addition, please note that you must have some familiarity with comic book history to correctly guess these comics. You cannot guess the connective theme just by looking at the covers solely, you must have some knowledge beyond just the covers.
Good luck! A cool point to the first person to figure it out!
SNARK FREE CHALLENGE
Here is another example of the coolness of John Byrne’s Fantastic Four run.
Name all the famous comic strip characters Byrne drew into this Fantastic Four panel (click on the image to enlarge)…
THE COVER GAME
This week’s game is as follows…
Name me a cover of the first volume (the one with 416 issues) of the Fantastic Four that featured only Sue on the cover without any of the other three original members of the team (and remember, only one cover per commenter) like the following cover (and NOT COUNTING the following cover) that just features Sue.
The corner roster shots don’t count as being part of the cover, but floating heads on the cover do!
SNARK FREE THEME TIME
Send in the (non-Spider-Man-related) Clones!
1. In the Man of Steel mini-series, we meet a failed clone of Superman called Bizarro.
2. Later on, another failed clone of Superman becomes an important character, Superboy!
3. The Eradicator’s body at one point was basically a clone of Superman, right?
4. During Infinity War, the Magus created clones of pretty much EVERY hero out there. Matt Murdock even used one of them to fake his own death!
5. Before he was killed recently, the Red Skull was living in a cloned body of none other than Captain America himself!
6. After his original body was ruined, Professor X had his mind transferred to a cloned body.
7. The same treatment Professor X had was given to Jack Knight.
8. Guy Gardner has a clone running around, going by the name Joe.
9. While they did not call it as much, Mr. Fantastic, Iron Man and Yellowjacket basically created a clone of Thor during Civil War.
10. The Manhunter from Archie Goodwin and Walt Simonson’s classic serial fought bad guys who were clones of him (thanks to Mr. Simonson for correcting my silly mistake)!
I miss any?
Let me know!
Well, that’s it for this installment of Snark Free Corner.
Hope you had fun!
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!