Welcome to the latest installment of your breath of snark free air!
SNARK FREE THEME TIME
Today's theme is...A CHARACTER "DYING" TO EFFECT CHARACTER CHANGES!!
1. The alien known as the Matrix ended up bonding with Linda Danvers when both the alien and the human, Danvers, were dying. This new combination became the Supergirl of Peter David's run!!
2. Deathstroke the Terminator was in an explosion where he "died," and he came back as a much younger man, with a brand new costume!
3. Matt Murdock's identity is found out, and he "dies," but Murdock instead takes up the alias of "Jack Batlin" (his father was Battlin' Jack Murdock, remember) and gets a new armored costume.
4. The Avengers travel back in time to find Tony Stark BEFORE he became controlled by Kang, so they bring back the young Tony Stark to the present (his future). Adult Tony sacrifices himself, and the teen Tony stays in the present, as the NEW Iron Man.
5. Namor is seemingly killed by AIM terrorists in an explosion. When he resurfaces, he decides to become the head of a corporation, Oracle. This is the basis of the Namor ongoing.
6. Wally West "died" by merging with the Speed Force, but upon his return, he had all sorts of new powers due to his newfound control of the Speed Force.
7. 52 SPOILERS! Booster Gold "dies," but it is just a way to get Skeets off his track - and the best way to do so is to come up with a new, totally altruistic identity of Supernova!
Well, lucky seven!
Feel free to share ones you can think of!!
COVER THEME GAME
As always, here is the game. I show three covers. They all have something in common, whether it be a character, a trait all three characters share, locale, creator, SOMEthing. And it isn't something obvious like "They all have prices!" "They all have logos!" "They all feature a man!" etc.
In addition, please note that you must have some familiarity with comic book history to correctly guess these comics. You cannot guess the connective theme just by looking at the covers solely, you must have some knowledge beyond just the covers.
Good luck! One cool point to the first one who figures it out!
SNARK FREE CHALLENGE
Who do you think is a better cook - Alfred or Jarvis?
Here's how this one works.
I give you a cover, and you have to tell me a comic cover that homages this cover.
You get a cool point for each cover (one cool point per commenter, so one single commenter can't just blow it all in one fell swoop), with double the cool points for any cover homage from four on
I think we can all probably agree that Vibe did not exactly work out as a character. However, as an IDEA for a character, I think he is a sound one. That is why I think an underused character is Vibe's brother, Armando Ramone, who has gone by the superhero name Reverb and also Hardline.
Here he is when he debuted as a member of the Conglomerate (he is the fellow standing next to Fire, right below the blond guy).
Here is when he was a member of the NEW Congolmerate. He is the one using his vibration powers on Amazo - although it looks like an energy blast.
In any event, Armando has basically the same origin of his brother (street gang member becomes a superhero, has vibration powers). So I think Armando should become Vibe II!
Who's with me?
Well, that's it for this installment of Snark Free Corner.
Hope you had fun!