Conan the Barbarian is known for swinging a savage sword, but his introduction into the Marvel Universe will also bring with it an entirely new, and perhaps alien, piece of weaponry.
Marvel Comics is teasing "a deadly new Savage Sword" for Conan in the July solicitation for Savage Avengers #3, with the cover showing the hero wielding a sword that's in the early stages of being covered with a dark, black substance. Of course, the nature that the color and way the substance is moving looks a lot like the alien symbiote that makes up the antihero, Venom, who is also a member of the Savage Avengers alongside Conan.
The opening arc of Savage Avengers will take Earth's Deadliest Heroes to the prehistoric locale known as the Savage Land. Issue #2 also teases a major change for one Savage Avenger after receiving a blood donation from Wolverine. Conan officially joined the Marvel Universe during the Avengers: No Road Home weekly series, which concluded this week.
Fans have seen a different variation of a "Venom" sword during Jason Aaron's tenure on various Thor titles. Gorr the God Butcher used a weapon called All-Black the Necrosword, with its origin tied to Knull, the God of the Symbiotes, in Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman's Venom.
The covers and solicitation text for July's Savage Avengers #3 can be found below:
- SAVAGE AVENGERS #3
- GERRY DUGGAN (W) • MIKE DEODATO JR. (A)
- Cover by DAVID FINCH
- Variant Cover by SIMONE BIANCHI
- CARNAGE-IZED VARIANT COVER BY LEINIL FRANCIS YU
- • Kulan Gath’s return is no good for anyone who digs being alive. His trap for the deadliest warriors in the Marvel Universe is sprung, and if humanity is to survive, the Savage Avengers must slay a god.
- • Elektra tries to corral Conan, Voodoo and Logan into an effective fighting force, and the Punisher desperately searches for his disinterred family.
- • Plus: Conan hefts a deadly new Savage Sword!
- 32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99