In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, comedy legend Rick Moranis revealed in a very rare interview that he’s (sort of) coming out of retirement — and that he turned down an offer to make a cameo appearance in the upcoming “Ghostbusters” film by Paul Feig.
“I wish them well,” Moranis told THR, who reports that the outcry over Moranis’ absence from the film prompted him to do the interview. “I hope it’s terrific. But it just makes no sense to me. Why would I do just one day of shooting on something I did 30 years ago?”
Moranis, who played Louis “The Keymaster” Tully in the original “Ghostbusters” films, left the world of film almost two decades ago to raise his young children after losing his wife to cancer. It’s a decision the actor said he doesn’t regret at all but now that his children have grown older, he’s looking to maybe return to the world of film — he’s just being very picky.
“Yes, I am picky, and I’ll continue to be picky. Picky has worked for me.”
Looking at things from Moranis’ perspective, it makes sense why he decided against the “Ghostbusters” cameo. Unlike his fellow surviving cast members — Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Ernie Hudson and Sigourney Weaver (the world having tragically lost Harold Ramis early last year) — who have continued working in film and television and various other on-screen avenues for many years — Moranis hasn’t really appeared in front of the camera in 18 years. For the first thing for him to do in all that time to be a cameo for a film in which he featured in the original nearly 30 years ago would be a little strange.
“Ghostbusters” — starring Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones and Chris Hemsworth — arrives in theaters July 15, 2016.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!