Things haven't been easy for Quantum and Woody since the launch of Valiant Entertainment's latest series starring the fan-favorite characters. First, the existential threat presented by the revelation that Woody’s birth father is still alive caused major dissonance between the pair. Now in the new "Separation Anxiety" arc starting with July's Quantum and Woody! #8, the duo is faced with a more pressing physical threat -- they'll lose their powers if they're around each other. CBR has the first details.
"Separation Anxiety" will be written by Eliot Rahal, who joins the series with May's Quantum & Woody! #6, and illustrated by Joe Eisma, who comes on board the book after stints on Faith, Archie and, of course, 50 issues of Image Comics' Morning Glories, which he co-created with Nick Spencer.
According to solicitation text, here's what to expect from the start of "Separation Anxiety": "Quantum and Woody just barely escaped from a surreal atomic realm...and, unfortunately, they've brought some pieces of it back with them! As dangerous new threats plunge their city even deeper into chaos, they'll soon realize that they have bigger problems and bigger grudges than ever before – now if the brothers are anywhere near one another, their powers stop working!"
"I just super-connect with Quantum and Woody on a personal level," Rahal told Newsarama in February of what drew him to the characters. "I have an older brother. He was a U.S. Marine. He’s got a graduate degree in Economics. He’s the ultimate dad now, which is so beautiful. The point is, we are completely opposite people. And yet… He’s my brother. I still love him no matter what. No matter how different we are."
This latest volume of Quantum and Woody debuted in Dec. 2017, from the team of Daniel Kibblesmith and Kano. That team is slated to wrap their run with issue #8, scheduled for release on April 18.
Quantum and Woody! #8 will include a main cover by Tom Fowler, an "Extra Ultra-Foil" cover by Goeff Shaw, an interlocking variant by Joe Eisma and a "Q&W Icon Variant" by Jen Bartel. Each follow below, along with solicitation text. Valiant Entertainment's full July 2018 solicitations will be released online next week.
QUANTUM AND WOODY! (2017) #8
- Written by ELIOT RAHAL
- Art by JOE EISMA
- Cover A by TOM FOWLER
- Cover B (Extreme Ultra-Foil) by GEOFF SHAW
- Interlocking Variant by JOE EISMA
- Q&W Icon Variant by JEN BARTEL
- ALL-NEW ARC! ALL-NEW JUMPING-ON POINT! "SEPARATION ANXIETY" – PART ONE!
- Quantum and Woody just barely escaped from a surreal atomic realm...and, unfortunately, they've brought some pieces of it back with them! As dangerous new threats plunge their city even deeper into chaos, they'll soon realize that they have bigger problems and bigger grudges than ever before – now if the brothers are anywhere near one another, their powers stop working!
- The world's worst superhero team is going to have to go it alone as "SEPARATION ANXIETY" presents a super-powered stress test, courtesy of rising star Eliot Rahal (The Paybacks) and Eisner Award-nominated artist Joe Eisma (Morning Glories, Archie)!
- $3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | On Sale JULY 18th (FOC – 6/25/18)