All-Star Superman, Buzzboy, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Nat Turner and DC's Zuda Comics imprint made strong showings in the nominations for the 2009 Harvey Awards, announced this morning.
Named in honor of the late cartoonist and Mad magazine editor Harvey Kurtzman, the awards recognize outstanding work in comics. They will be presented Oct. 10 in Baltimore during Baltimore Comic-Con.
Jeff Kinney's best-selling children's series Diary of a Wimpy Kid led with six nominations: Best Writer, Best Cartoonist, Best Inker, Best Continuing or Limited Series, Best Graphic Album-Original and the Special Award for Humor in Comics.
DC's All-Star Superman, which ended in October 2008, received five nominations, for Best Continuing Series, Best Writer (Grant Morrison), Best Artist (Frank Quitely), Best Inker (Jamie Grant) and Best Colorist (Jamie Grant). Sky Dog Comics' all-ages Buzzboy earned five nods, for Best Writer (John Gallagher), Best Cartoonist (John Gallagher), Best Letterer (Thom Zahler), Best Inker (Rich Faber), Best Cover Artist (Frank Cho for Buzzboy: Sidekicks Rule! #3) and the Special Award for Humor in Comics (John Gallagher).
Comics and creators from Zuda online initiative, which debuted in 2007, garnered a combined seven nominations, including nods for Best New Series for High Moon, Night Owls and Supertron.
Kyler Baker's historical graphic novel Nat Turner earned four nominations for Best Graphic Album-Previously Published, Best Single Issue or Story, Best Writer and Best Artist.
The full list of nominees for the 2009 Harvey Awards can be found after the break:
• Kyle Baker, NAT TURNER, Abrams books• Ed Brubaker, CAPTAIN AMERICA, Marvel Comics• John Gallagher, BUZZBOY, Sky Dog Comics• Jeff Kinney, DIARY OF A WIMPY KID, Amulet Books• Grant Morrison, ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, DC Comics
• Gabriel Ba, UMBRELLA ACADEMY, Dark Horse Comics• Kyle Baker, NAT TURNER, Abrams Books• Jimmy Gownley, AMELIA RULES, Renaissance Press• Jason Kruse, WORLD OF QUEST, Yen Press• Frank Quitely, ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, DC Comics
• Lar deSouza, LEAST I COULD DO, www.leasticoulddo.com• John Gallagher, BUZZBOY, Sky Dog Comics• Al Jaffee, TALL TALES, Abrams Books• Jeff Kinney, DIARY OF A WIMPY KID, Amulet Books• Thom Zahler, LOVE & CAPES, Maerkle Press
• Jimmy Gownley, AMELIA RULES, Renaissance Press• Rob Leigh, THE SPIRIT, DC Comics• Doug Sherwood, LOCAL, Oni Press• John Workman, MARVEL 1985, Marvel Comics• Thom Zahler, BUZZBOY, Sky Dog Comics
• Rich Faber, BUZZBOY, Sky Dog Comics• Jamie Grant, ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, DC Comics• Jeff Kinney, DIARY OF A WIMPY KID, Amulet Books• Mark Morales, THOR, Marvel Comics• Ryan Winn, THE DARKNESS, Image Comics
• Frank Cammuso, OTTO'S ORANGE DAY, Raw Junior, LLC• Jamie Grant, ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, DC Comics• Laura Martin, THOR, Marvel Comics• Wil Quintana, THE MICE TEMPLAR, Image Comics• Dave Stewart, UMBRELLA ACADEMY, Dark Horse Comics
BEST COVER ARTIST
• Frank Cho, BUZZBOY: SIDEKICKS RULE!#3, Sky Dog Press• James Jean, FABLES, Vertigo Comics• Jay Lynch, MINDSHAFT #23, Mindshaft Publishing• Ken Rocafort, PILOT SEASON: CORE #1, Top Cow• Alex Ross, JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA, DC Comics
BEST NEW SERIES
• THE DREAMER, IDW• ECHO, Abstract Studios• HIGH MOON, www.zudacomics.com• NIGHT OWLS, www.zudacomics.com• SUPERTRON, www.zudacomics.com
BEST CONTINUING OR LIMITED SERIES
• ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, DC Comics• CAPTAIN AMERICA, Marvel Comics• DIARY OF A WIMPY KID, Amulet Books• MICE TEMPLAR, Image Comics• UMBRELLA ACADEMY, Dark Horse Comics
BEST BIOGRAPHICAL, HISTORICAL OR JOURNALISTIC PRESENTATION
• DRAW!, edited by Mike Manley, Twomorrows Publishing• HOW TO MAKE WEBCOMICS, Brad Guigar, Dave Kellett, Scott Kurtz, and Kris Straub, Image Comics• KIRBY: KING OF COMICS, Mark Evanier, Abrams Books• SCORCHY SMITH AND THE ART OF NOEL SICKLES, edited by Dean Mullaney, IDW• WORDLESS BOOKS: THE ORIGINAL GRAPHIC NOVELS, edited by David A. Berona, Abrams Books
BEST SYNDICATED STRIP OR PANEL
• BREWSTER ROCKIT: SPACE GUY!, Tim Rickard, Tribune Media Services• GET FUZZY, Darby Conley, United Features Syndicate• MUTTS, Patrick McDonnell, King Features Syndicate• THE NORM, Michael Jantze, Uclick Gocomics• PEARLS BEFORE SWINE, Stephan Pastis, United Features Syndicate
• COMIC BOOK TATTOO, edited by Rantz Hoseley, Image Comics• FLIGHT VOLUME 5, edited by Kazu Kibuishi, Villard• MOME VOLUME 10, edited by Eric Reynolds, Fantagraphics Books• PIXU #1, edited by Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon, Self-Published• POPGUN VOLUME 2, edited by Joe Keatinge and Mark Andrew Smith, Image Comics
BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM - ORIGINAL
• BOTTOMLESS BELLY BUTTON, Fantagraphics Books• DIARY OF A WIMPY KID: RODRICK RULES, Amulet Books• ESSEX COUNTY: THE COUNTRY NURSE, Top Shelf• SKIM, Groundwood Books• TOO COOL TO BE FORGOTTEN, Top Shelf• WORLD OF QUEST: VOL. 2, Yen Press
BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM - PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED
• AMELIA RULES!: FUNNY STORIES, Renaissance Press• M, Abrams Books• NAT TURNER, Abrams Books• THE MICE TEMPLAR: VOL. 1, Image Comics• QUEEN AND COUNTRY: VOLUME 3, Oni Press• SKYSCRAPERS OF THE MIDWEST (HARDCOVER), Adhouse Books
BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR STORY
• ACME NOVELTY LIBRARY #19, Self-Published• FIRST BORN: AFTERMATH #1, Top Cow• LOVE AND ROCKETS, VOL. 3 #1, Fantagraphics Books• M, Abrams Books• NASCAR HEROES #5, NASCAR Comics• NAT TURNER, Abrams Books• THE AMAZING REMARKABLE MONSIEUR LEOTARD, First Second• Y: THE LAST MAN #60, Vertigo Comics
BEST DOMESTIC REPRINT PROJECT
• ASTOUNDING SPACE THRILLS, IDW• COMPLETE PEANUTS, Fantagraphics Books• COMPLETE TERRY AND THE PIRATES, IDW• SCORCHY SMITH AND THE ART OF NOEL SICKLES, IDW• WACKY PACKAGES, Abrams Books
BEST AMERICAN EDITION OF FOREIGN MATERIAL
• GUS AND HIS GANG, First Second• POCKET FULL OF RAIN, Fantagraphics Books• RED COLORED ELEGY, Drawn and Quarterly• SOLANIN, Viz• WITCHBLADE TAKERU MANGA #'s 11 & 12, Top Cow
BEST ON-LINE COMICS WORK
• BLACK CHERRY BOMBSHELLS, Tony Trovarello and John Zito, www.zudacomics.com• HIGH MOON, Scott O. Brown, www.zudacomics.com• LEAST I COULD DO, Lar deSouza and Ryan Sohmer, www.leasticoulddo.com• NIGHT OWLS, Bobby & Peter Timony, www.zudacomics.com• PVP, Scott Kurtz, www.pvponline.com
SPECIAL AWARD FOR HUMOR IN COMICS
• Lar deSouza, LEAST I COULD DO, www.leasticoulddo.com• John Gallagher, BUZZBOY, Sky Dog Comics• Al Jaffee, TALL TALES, Abrams Books• Jeff Kinney, DIARY OF A WIMPY KID, Amulet Books• David Malki, WONDERMARK, www.wondermark.com
SPECIAL AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN PRESENTATION
• COMPLETE LOCAL: HARDCOVER EDITION, Ryan Kelly and Brian Wood, Oni Press• KIRBY: KING OF COMICS, Mark Evanier, Abrams Books• QUEEN AND COUNTRY: VOLUME 3, Greg Rucka, Mike Norton,Steve Rolston, and Chris Samnee, Oni Press• TALL TALES, Al Jaffee, Abrams Books• WONDERMARK, VOL. 1: BEARDS OF OUR FOREFATHERS, David Malki, Dark Horse Comics
BEST NEW TALENT
• Matt Cassan, NASCAR: HEROES, Nascar Comics• Bryan J.L. Glass, THE MICE TEMPLAR, Image Comics• Laura Innes, THE DREAMER, IDW• Tim Sievert, THAT SALTY AIR, Top Shelf• Bobby Timony, NIGHT OWLS, www.zudacomics.com