Comic-Con International announced today that submissions are being accepted for the 31st annual Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award, which will be presented in July during the Eisners ceremony at the San Diego Comic-Con. The award was named after Russ Manning, the prolific artist who worked on Tarzan and Star Wars, and created the classic comic series Magnus, Robot Fighter.
Started in 1982 as a joint presentation of Comic-Con International and the West Coast Comics Club, this award honors a comics artist who, early in his or her career, shows a superior knowledge and ability in the art of creating comics. Previous winners of the award include Dave Stevens, the first winner in 1982, as well as Art Adams, Jeff Smith, Gene Ha, Jerome Opeña, Steve Rude, David Petersen, R. Kikuo Johnson, Marian Churchland and Nate Simpson, who won last year.
Below is the criteria for the award that was sent out by CCI:
1. The artist must be a newcomer to the comic field, with no professional work published prior to January 2009. Exceptions to this rule are:
A. Work done as an unaccredited assistant to another artist
B. Fanzine publications
C. Small press with a print run of 2000 or less
D. A one-shot in a new talent anthology comic
2. The artist’s work must have been published prior to submission.
3. A sample of the artist’s work must be included.
4. A sample of the artist’s pencil work should be submitted if it was inked by another artist.
5. If multiple names are credited to the work, what the artist contributed must be made clear.
6. If selected as a nominee, the artist (or publisher) should be prepared to provide 25 copies of the work to be sent to the judges.
In the spirit of revered artist Russ Manning, the most important criteria for selection are storytelling ability, clarity of expression and narrative flow, and illustrative flow. Writing is not a consideration except in a tie. A nominee from last year may be resubmitted if he or she still meets the criteria.
All submissions will be reviewed by a panel of artists and other knowledgeable in the comic art field, who will select the five finalists. The winner will be selected by a blue ribbon panel of comics professionals, including prior Russ Manning winners and Russ Manning’s former assistants. Submissions should be sent to Russ Manning Award, 150 S. James, Orange, CA 92869.
The deadline for all submissions is May 31.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!