Official Press Release
Comic-Con International (Comic-Con) has announced that submissions are now being accepted for the 28th annual Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award. The award will be presented on July 22 during the Eisner Awards Ceremony at Comic-Con International in San Diego. Started in 1982 as a joint presentation of Comic-Con International and the West Coast Comics Club, this award honors a comics artist who, early in his or her career, shows a superior knowledge and ability in the art of creating comics. The deadline for all submissions is May 31.
To qualify for the award:
1. The artist must be a newcomer to the comic field, with no professional work published prior to January 2009. Exceptions to this rule are:
A. Work done as an unaccredited assistant to another artist
B. Fanzine publications
C. Small press with a print run of 2000 or less
D. A one-shot in a new talent anthology comic
2. The artist's work must have been published prior to submission.
3. A sample of the artist's work must be included.
4. A sample of the artist's pencil work should be submitted if it was inked by another artist.
5. If multiple names are credited to the work, what the artist contributed must be made clear.
6. If selected as a nominee, the artist (or publisher) should be prepared to provide 23 copies of the work to be sent to the judges.
In the spirit of revered artist Russ Manning (Tarzan, Star Wars, Magnus Robot Fighter), the most important criteria for selection are storytelling ability, clarity of expression and narrative flow, and illustrative flow. Writing is not a consideration except in a tie. A nominee from last year may be resubmitted if he or she meets the criteria.â€¨
All submissions will be reviewed by a panel of artists and other knowledgeable in the comic art field, who will select the five finalists. The winner will be selected by a blue ribbon panel of comics professionals, including prior Russ Manning winners and Russ Manning's former assistants.
Submissions should be sent to
Russ Manning Award, 150 S. James
Orange, CA 92869.
More information about the Manning Awards can be found at http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_manning.php