Marvel Comics has announced 10 variant covers inspired by the previously announced miniseries New Mutants: Dead Souls. This "New Mutant Variant Cover Program," which debuts in March, will feature "dark portraits of your favorite Marvel heroes from acclaimed artists such as Dan Mora, Declan Shalvey, Mike Deodato and more."
The following titles will receive New Mutant variant covers:
- All-New Wolverine #32 by Mike Deodato
- Avengers #685 by Terry Dodson
- Cable #155 by Tyler Kirkham
- Despicable Deadpool #296 by Declan Shalvey
- Doctor Strange: Damnation #3 by Leinil Yu
- Old Man Logan #36 by Dave Johnson
- Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #301 by Bilquis Evely
- X-Men Blue #23 by Clayton Crain
- X-Men Gold #23 by Jason Pearson
- X-Men Red #2 by Dan Mora
According to Marvel, these covers were commissioned in honor of the new miniseries by Matt Rosenberg and Adam Gorham, but it's also worth noting that Fox's The New Mutants film is scheduled to release in April. This may have also motivated Marvel to release the variant covers.
New Mutants: Dead Souls delves into the supernatural, with each issue featuring a standalone story in which the group confronts “things that go bump in the night." The series will bring together popular members of the New Mutants, X-Factor and X-Force. Rosenberg and Gorham intend to pull together spooky plot points and dysfunctional character dynamics to make this new miniseries to feel worthy of the New Mutants name.
Marvel Comics' New Mutants: Dead Souls will kick off in March, while Fox's The New Mutants will debut on April 13.