The finalists have been announced for the inaugural Dwayne McDuffie Award for Diversity, named in honor of the influential comics and animation writer who passed away in 2011. The winner will be announced Feb. 28 at Long Beach Comic Expo.
“I am so proud that my husband’s personal mission to include a more diverse array of voices — both in content and creators — is able to continue now through this award in his name, by encouraging others who share his vision of comics, characters and the industry itself better mirroring society,” Charlotte McDuffie said in a statement.
The finalists are:
• Hex 11, by Lisa K. Weber and Kelly Sue Milano (HexComics)
• M.F.K., by Nilah Magruder
• Ms. Marvel, by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona (Marvel)
• The Shadow Hero, by Gene Luen Yang and Sonny Liew (First Second)
• Shaft, by David F. Walker and Bilquis Evely (Dynamite Entertainment)
The award was established in September 2014 to help preserve the legacy of McDuffie, the co-founder of Milestone Media whose credits include such comics as Static, Icon, Fantastic Four and Justice League of America, and such animated series as Static Shock and Justice League.
The Dwayne McDuffie Award Selection Committee is comprised on Neo Edmund, Joan Hilty, Joseph Illidge, Heidi MacDonald, Glen Murakami, Eugene Son, William J. Watkins and Len Wein.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!