With Marvel Comics announcing Jonathan Hickman's upcoming X-Men miniseries, House of X and Powers of X with artists Pepe Larraz and R.B. Silva, respectively, fans have wondered what that means for Uncanny X-Men. According to the publisher's July solicitations, we may finally have an answer.
Uncanny X-Men #21-22 carry the ominous solicitation text, "It all ends here. This is forever!" While it doesn't carry the usual "Final Issue" wording, it certainly sounds like the long-running X-Men title will come to an end in July, clearing the way for whatever plans Hickman has in store for the mutant franchise.
The cover by Whilce Portacio shows Cyclops, Wolverine, Havok, Magik, Multiple Man and Juggernaut charging into battle. Juggernaut's introduction in this week's Uncanny X-Men #16 paves the way for him to officially join the team. Other members like Hope Summers, Banshee, Dani Moonstar and Chamber are conspicuously missing from the cover, though we may find out what happens to them in the lead up to the 40-page Uncanny X-Men #22.
The two-issue "finale" also sees the X-Men find the truth behind the reformed Hellfire Club, the truth behind O.N.E.'s attacks against mutantkind all while tackling the team's internal struggles.
The cover and solicitation text to July's Uncanny X-Men #21-22 can be found below:
- UNCANNY X-MEN #21 & #22
- MATTHEW ROSENBERG (W) • Salvador Larroca (A)
- Covers by WHILCE PORTACIO
- ISSUE #21 - CARNAGE-IZED VARIANT COVER BY DECLAN SHALVEY
- ISSUE #22 - CARNAGE-IZED VARIANT COVER BY TBA
- It all ends here. This is forever!
- As Cyclops’ cleanup mission nears its close, all the problems the X-Men face come together. The truth behind the Hellfire Club’s intentions, the culmination of the O.N.E.’s assaults on mutantkind and even the inner struggles within the team... It all ends here. This is forever.
- Issue #21 – 32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
- Issue #22 – 40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99