Today (Saturday) is literally a once-in-a-century kind of day. It’s the day recognized by nerds everywhere as Pi Day, as the date 3/14 mirrors the first two digits in pi. Seeing as it’s the year 2015, however, the date 3/14/15 actually lines up with even more digits in the mathematical constant, an event that only happens once every 100 years. And if you stretch that out to 9:26:53 and farther into microseconds, there will be a precise moment when the time and date match up to pi out into infinity.
To celebrate the nerdiest of holidays, Marvel has released a recipe inspired by one of their characters who would probably find the most joy in the numerically unique day: Ultron! Yes, they’ve presented fans with a complete recipe for Ultron Cherry Pie, which you can find ahead along with more pictures of the delicious, devilish treat.
Ultron-Inspired Cherry Pie
(makes 1 9-inch pie)
Photos & Recipe by Jenn Fujikawa (@justjenn)
Tools + Ingredients
1 9-inch pie plate
1 egg white
2 cans cherry pie filling
1 clean x-acto knife
Pie Crust Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
4 – 6 tablespoons ice water
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. With a pastry cutter, cut in the cold butter until crumbly. Add the water by the tablespoon until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into two. Roll out one half of the dough onto a floured surface, large enough to cover the pie plate. Lift the dough circle over the plate and lightly press into the bottom.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Brush the piecrust with egg white and pour in the two cans of pie filling.
- Roll out the second half of the pie dough onto a floured surface. With the clean x-acto knife, cut out Ultron’s face.
- Lay the face over the cherry pie filling and brush with egg white.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown. Let cool.
- With the remaining dough scraps, cut out the two side pieces. Place on a baking sheet lined with a silpat or parchment and brush with egg white. Bake for 5 minutes or until just browned, and let cool on a wire rack.
- Once the pie is cool, wedge the two pieces next to the side of the head to serve.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!