Marvel has finally revealed the premise of its comic book collaboration with musician The Weeknd, and it’s quite the trip. The series, Starboy, was originally announced back in October of last year. While it was known that the name of the comic coincided with the latest The Weeknd album, no attempt to clarify the series’ premise has been made until now.
Marvel today released a synopsis of the series, which will see Christos Gage (Avengers Academy) and La Mar Taylor (The Weeknd’s creative director) join as co-writers.
THE WEEKND PRESENTS: STARBOY – Vol. I – Issue 1
- Abel “The Weeknd” Tesfaye, La Mar Taylor & Christos Gage (W)
- Eric Nguyen & Guru-eFX (A)
- Cover by Eric Nguyen
- Based on the chart-topping song from the double-platinum album STARBOY by THE WEEKND.
- The city of Alphatron is in the grip of a crime wave, as the terrifying Jack “The Chef” Smiley has unified all criminal organizations with his ruthlessness and strategic genius. Not content with brutally murdering his victims, Smiley also feasts upon their flesh. The citizens live in fear and the police have been directly targeted.
- The city is in dire need of a hero. It will not get one…
- …but it will get what it deserves. STARBOY.
- 28 PGS./Parental Advisory... $3.99
- ISBN: TBA
Marvel Comics hasn’t been shy about recruiting musicians as comic book collaborators in recent years. Masters of the Sun – The Zombie Chronicles, a series written by Black Eyed Peas front man will.i.am, released last year in July.