With Marvel Comics' 2099 imprint gearing up for a revival this November, so to is its Punisher 2099 title. However, the version of the titular vigilante arriving this fall may not be same one longtime 2099 fans are familiar with.
Punisher 2099 #1 -- a new one-shot from writers Lonnie Nadler and Zac Thompson (Age of X-Man) and artist Matt Horak (Spider-Man/Deadpool) -- teases that while the future has arrived, "world peace certainly hasn't." In turn, a new, masked version of the Punisher of the future rises up to unleash their own brand of vengeance upon the crime-ridden streets of Nueva York and push back against the corruption overrunning the city.
Since Marvel first introduced readers to the world of 2099 A.D. back in the early '90s, the imprint's version of the Punisher has been Jacob Gallows, Frank Castle's de facto successor. However, when most readers last saw Jake, it was in the finale of the 2016 Contest of Champions miniseries, in which he -- ironically -- is killed by an alternate version of Frank.
Multiple versions of 2099 -- and thus, Jake -- have previously been shown to exist. Additionally, Ron Lim's variant cover for the new one-shot does prominently feature the original Punisher 2099. In other words, Officer Gallows' return is not entirely implausible. That said, the solicit strongly suggests the mantle has been passed on yet again, and this mysterious new masked Punisher is someone else entirely. So, readers will simply have to wait and see what this one-shot -- as well as the relaunch as a whole -- have to offer.
Written by Lonnie Nadler and Zac Thompson and illustrated by Matt Horak, Punisher 2099 #1 goes on sale this November from Marvel Comics. The full solicitation information, as well as Patch Zircher's main cover and Ron Lim's variant, can be found below.
PUNISHER 2099 #1
- Lonnie Nadler & Zac Thompson (W) • Matt Horak (A)
- Cover by Patch Zircher
- Variant Cover by Steve Epting
- VARIANT COVER BY RON LIM
- The future has arrived, but world peace certainly hasn’t! In fact, with the streets of Nueva York more crime-ridden than ever, who will rise up to defend the vulnerable population from the corruption? Looks like it’s up to Punisher 2099 to clean up the block – the only question is, who’s behind the mask?
- Don’t miss out on your glimpse into the future from rising stars, LONNIE NADLER & ZAC THOMPSON (Age of X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy Annual)!
- 40 PGS./ONE-SHOT/Rated T …$4.99