DC Black Label will publish The Low, Low Woods, the debut comic book series of writer Carmen Maria Machado.
As revealed by DC's December solicitations, when El and Octavia wake up with no recent memories in the movie theater of Shudder-to-Think, they are forced to embark on a journey to unbury the secrets behind the eerie creatures that roam their town. Dani illustrates the series. The Low Low Woods will be part of the Hill House line of DC Black Label and overseen by writer and editor Joe Hill (Horns, Locke & Key). You can read the solicitation for Low Low Woods #1 and see its covers below.
THE LOW, LOW WOODS #1
- written by CARMEN MARIA MACHADO
- art by DANI
- cover by J.A.W. COOPER
- card stock variant cover by JENNY FRISON
- Shudder-To-Think, PA, has been on fire for years. The coal mines beneath it are long since abandoned. The woods are full of rabbits with human eyes, a deer woman who stalks hungry girls, and swaths of skinless men. And the people in Shudder-to-Think? Well, they’re not doing so well either. When El and Octavia wake up in a movie theater with no memory of the last few hours of their lives, the two teenage dirtbags begin a surreal and terrifying journey to discover the truth about the strange town that they call home.
- DC and Hill House Comics present the comics debut of award-winning, bestselling horror writer Carmen Maria Machado (Her Body and Other Parties, In the Dream House). THE LOW, LOW WOODS explores body horror down paths yet unexplored in comics. It will leave readers searching for their way back home and terrified of what they find changed upon their return.
- ON SALE 12.18.19
- $3.99 US |1 OF 6|32 PAGES
- CARD STOCK VARIANT COVER $4.99 US
- FC | DC BLACK LABEL
- This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
Machado's first published work, Her Body and Other Parties, was a short-story body-horror anthology that was widely praised by critics, winning the Shirley Jackson award in 2018. Her memoir In the Dream House will be published on November 5.
The Low Low Woods #1 releases December 18.