It’s not uncommon for people new to a foreign country to bring their time-tested traditions and wistful dreams along with them, but what if they brought their monsters, too? As in, actual monsters. The kind with grasping claws and teeth that go all the way down their throats. That’s the premise of Adam and Aidan Glass’ upcoming Lollipop Kids #1, which imagines those monsters getting loose in the most populated city in America.
“Lollipop Kids plays with the idea that the immigrants who have poured into this country for over 400 years didn't just come here in search of the American Dream, they came here to get rid of their monsters so that their home countries would never again have to suffer,” Adam Glass said. “Which means America is the secret prison to all the monsters throughout history, everything from Dragons, the Big Bad Wolf, Medusa, Vlad the Impaler, Frankenstein, etc. ... and they have all been locked up for hundreds of years in the Greensward Forest, better known today as Central Park.”
The only thing standing between the Things That Go Bump in the Night and sweet, delicious people are the Legacies, a title handed down throughout the generations to those who fight the monsters. Nick Motley, a 14-year-old boy, receives just such a calling when the monsters stage a daring modern-day escape. Together with his band of Lollipop Kids, Nick fights to hold the darkness of Central Park at bay.
Lollipop Kids is a unique endeavor for Adam Glass, who has worked on the likes of Rough Riders at AfterShock and Teen Titans at DC Comics, as he developed the series’ story with his 14-year-old son, Aidan.
Lollipop Kids #1 goes on sale on Oct. 2. The issue is written by Adam and Aidan Glass, with art by Diego Yapur. Sal Cipriano is the issue’s letterer. Robert Hack, David Lopez and Juan Doe provided the issue’s covers, which you can see below.
LOLLIPOP KIDS #1 / 3.99 / 32 pages / color / ON SALE 10.02.18
- Writers: Adam and Aidan Glass
- Artist: Diego Yapur
- Letterer: Sal CiprianovCover A: Robert Hack
- Cover B: David Lopez
- Cover C (Main Cover): Juan Doe
- When immigrants came to the new world they didn’t only bring their hopes and dreams, they also brought their MONSTERS.
- Years ago, early setters locked these monsters away in a secret prison deep in the woods of New Amsterdam so that they never would return to the Old World again. Those woods have since become Central park and now, the monsters have escaped! Nick, a 14-year-old Harlem resident, finds out that he is a “legacy” to a secret society, that for the last four hundred years has kept these monsters in check. Now Nick and a ragtag group of kids just like him have to put the monsters back before they get out of the park and destroy the city.
- Brought to life by Adam Glass and Aidan Glass (ROUGH RIDERS, THE NORMALS, TEEN TITANS) with art by Diego Yapur, LOLLIPOP KIDS is an epic re-imagining of the things that go bump in the night….