"King James" gives loyal fans the royal treatment with launch of POWERade Athletic Club Exclusive LeBron James comics, mini-movies, custom gear and once-in-a-lifetime experiences headline Web-based loyalty club at www.us.powerade.com
LeBron James' recent on-the-court performance may make him seem like a superhero, but he's taking his exploits to the next level away from the game - trading his sneakers for super powers to star as "King James" in a fresh series of animated adventures created by POWERade and DC Comics.
The "King James" storyline progresses in the form of online comics and mini-movies - many featuring authentic voiceovers by LeBron - with original artwork from the world-famous art team at DC Comics to create a dramatic, serialized tale.
"I've always been a big fan of cartoons and comics, so seeing the 'King James' character battling fictional foes in an animated series is very cool," said LeBron James. "After reviewing the artwork and recording the voiceovers, it was awesome to see the story come to life."
The entire series of "King James" comics - including issues one and two of the new "23" story - can be viewed online at www.us.powerade.com. In addition, exclusive "King James" mini-movies are available as premium content to members of the newly launched POWERade Athletic Club, featuring extra chapters that take place between scenes of the comic. POWERade and DC Comics first created LeBron's superhero persona in 2004 with a print edition of the KING JAMES comic book, which drew an overwhelmingly positive response from fans.
LeBron's point-scoring prowess jumps off the basketball court and lands online with the debut of the Web-based POWERade Athletic Club at www.us.powerade.com. LeBron serves as the centerpiece for the unique loyalty program - inviting fans to join the club, collect codes from specially marked POWERade products and customize their membership rewards by redeeming POWERade Athletic Club points for a variety of premium prizes, including exclusive "King James" entertainment content, custom gear, autographed collectibles, video games and much more.
The perks of the POWERade Athletic Club have the sports fan and gamer in mind, including:
* "Meet the King" Promotion - The POWERade "Meet the King" Sweepstakes will reward one grand-prize winner with a once-in-a-lifetime trip to New York City to meet LeBron and tour DC Comics - home to the World's Greatest Super Heroes(tm). Club members can register online through June 30. In addition, at least 23 instant-win prizes will be awarded every day through June 30, including "King James" autographed basketball jerseys, original "King James" comic artwork from DC Comics, basketball hoops, athletic gear, comic books and more.
* Redeemable Rewards: Through December 2006, members can redeem POWERade Athletic Club points they've accrued to earn cool gear and experiences in a number of categories, such as:
* "King James" - Original "King James" comic artwork from DC Comics, life-size "King James" standees, mini-movie posters, collectors-edition bound comics, etc.
* Sports Collectibles - Authentic game jerseys autographed by NBA stars, signed Tony Stewart life-size standees, replica McDonald's All-American jerseys, posters signed by NHRA drivers, etc.
* Gaming - Tony Hawk American Wasteland(tm) and NHRA Championship Drag Racing(tm) console games
* Athletic Gear - Salomon® snowboards, skis, wearables and backpacks, adidas® basketballs, soccer balls, sunglasses, athletic gear, training watches etc.
* National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) - Exclusive podcasts and race tickets
* Digital Downloads - Mobliss® ringtones and wallpapers* Games - "Freestyle Free Throw," a flash-animated online game, allows players to pile up scores by shooting free throws as "King James" amid a variety of flying objects that can block their shots. The goal is to accumulate 23 points in 45 seconds to move on to the next level, with each round becoming more challenging than the last.
Consumers age 13 and older can join the POWERade Athletic Club with just a few clicks and the selection of a unique username and password. Scoring redeemable club points is easy - caps of specially marked 20 oz. bottles of POWERade and POWERade OPTION and 16 oz. bottles of ADVANCE by POWERade carry a code, which can be credited to a club account by entering the code directly on the Web site or sending a text message to "PWRAD" (79723). For as few as five caps, consumers can log on to the site to claim a prize of their choice.
"The world of sports is changing around us - consumers participate in a variety of sports in a variety of ways, all driven by their passion for the game. This insight fueled our decision to build the POWERade Athletic Club - a unique loyalty program that defies convention," said Racquel Mason, director of marketing for sports and energy drinks, Coca-Cola North America. "We've assembled a diverse set of consumer rewards that will appeal to any sports enthusiast - from autographed collectibles and custom gear to event tickets and exclusive entertainment content starring LeBron James."
LeBron James notches yet another first as the POWERade Athletic Club marks the first time that an athlete's likeness has appeared on bottles of the top-selling POWERade flavors in the U.S. - Mountain Blast, Fruit Punch, Orange, Lemon Lime and Grape. Additional marketing support will include in-store point-of-sale, print and digital advertising, and event activation.