Fans learned last month that the impending home release of Star Wars: The Last Jedi would include a whopping 14 deleted scenes, but at the time of the announcement, it wasn’t entirely clear what was being pulled from the cutting room floor. However, it appears at least one of them will give longtime fans the closest thing possible to a full-fledged reunion between the holy trinity of the original trilogy, as Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa mourn the loss of Han Solo, who was killed by his son Kylo Ren in The Force Awakens.
Writer/director Rian Johnson revealed to Entertainment Weekly that the scene in question serves as a follow-up to the moment when Luke asks Rey where Han is. After realizing his old friend’s fate, the aging Jedi enters his hut, his eyes beginning to tear up as he stares off into the distance. We then immediately cut to Leia, who appears to be mirroring her brother’s moment of grief from aboard the Raddus starship.
“It’s both of them having the connection, and that also then led you to think that Leia was thinking about Han’s death,” Johnson explained. “It was a really lovely moment. We realized just for pacing in that section we had to stick with Rey and Luke, and we wanted just to go straight from him slamming the door of the hut into the day-in-the-life montage, of him going around the island. Taking that bit out suddenly propelled us forward into that segment in a way that just felt much better for the film.”
Still, despite Johnson’s practical reason for cutting the scene, he was still sad to see it go.
“I was very sorry to lose it,” he continued. “I think it’s a beautiful performance from Mark Hamill. But I think that we get a similar beat with him, later when he’s in the Falcon with R2.”
In addition to the deleted scenes, The Last Jedi’s bonus features will include an exploration of the mythology of the Force, scene breakdowns, and director commentary from Johnson. Here’s the full rundown of bonus content:
- The Director and the Jedi – Go deep behind the scenes with writer-director Rian Johnson on an intimate and personal journey through the production of the movie—and experience what it’s like to helm a global franchise and cultural phenomenon.
- Balance of the Force – Explore the mythology of the Force and why Rian Johnson chose to interpret its role in such a unique way.
- Scene Breakdowns
- Lighting the Spark: Creating the Space Battle – Get a close-up look at the epic space battle, from the sounds that help propel the action, through the practical and visual effects, to the characters who bring it all to life.
- Snoke and Mirrors – Motion capture and Star Wars collide as the filmmakers take us through the detailed process of creating the movie’s malevolent master villain.
- Showdown on Crait – Break down everything that went into creating the stunning world seen in the movie’s final confrontation, including the interplay between real-word locations and visual effects, reimagining the walkers, designing the crystal foxes, and much more.
- Andy Serkis Live! (One Night Only) – Writer-director Rian Johnson presents two exclusive sequences from the movie featuring Andy Serkis’ riveting, raw on-set performance before his digital makeover into Snoke.
- Deleted Scenes – With an introduction and optional commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
- Audio Commentary – View the movie with in-depth feature audio commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
Written and directed by Rian Johnson, Star Wars: The Last Jedi stars Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker, Daisy Ridley as Rey, John Boyega as Finn, Adam Driver as Kylo Ren, Oscar Isaac as Poe Dameron, Andy Serkis as Supreme Leader Snoke, Domhnall Gleeson as General Hux, Gwendoline Christie as Captain Phasma, Anthony Daniels as C-3PO, Lupita Nyong’o as Maz Kanata, Benicio Del Toro as ‘DJ’, Kelly Marie Tran as Rose Tico, Laura Dern as Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo, and the late Carrie Fisher as General Leia Organa. The film arrives March 13 on Digital HD and March 27 on Blu-ray 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and On-Demand.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!