Official Press Release
The New York Anime Festival (NYAF) today announced it is partnering with Del Rey Manga, Samurai Beat Radio, and VIZ Pictures to hold the first Lolita and Maid Fashion Day at the largest Japanese bookstore in North America -- New York City's Kinokuniya Bookstore. Taking place Saturday, June 7 in celebration of International Lolita Day, Kinokuniya Bookstore located at 1073 Avenue of the Americas in Manhattan will present a day-long series of events showcasing the diverse world of cute, cool, elegant, and hip fashion in modern Japan, namely Japanese Lolita and Maid fashions.
"We're proud to help create Lolita and Maid Fashion Day at Kinokuniya," New York Anime Festival Show Manager Lance Fensterman said. "Lolita and Maid fashion have quickly become two of the most prolific ambassadors of anime, manga, and Japanese culture in America, and the New York Anime Festival couldn't be happier bringing these fashions to New York City -- the fashion capital of the world."
Kinokuniya's Lolita and Maid Fashion Day will include special all-day activities as well as a series of Lolita and Maid-themed speakers and presentations
Kinokuniya Lolita And Maid Fashion Day All-Day Events
Anime And Manga Discount: Any customer who comes into Kinokuniya Bookstore at 1073 Avenue of the Americas on Saturday, June 7 wearing a Lolita or Maid dress or anime, manga, or video game cosplay will receive 10% off all anime and manga purchases.
Lolita And Maid Sweets: CafA(c) Zaiya on Kinokuniya's second floor presents a special menu of Lolita and Maid-themed desserts made especially for Lolita and Maid Day
Lolita And Maid Fashion Day Giveaway: All customers who come into Kinokuniya Bookstore can enter to win a number of prizes from Del Rey Manga, the New York Anime Festival, and VIZ Pictures. Prizes include a collection of 100 of Del Rey Manga's best-selling and fan-favorite books, free tickets to this September's New York Anime Festival, and select films from the VIZ Pictures catalog. Winners will be drawn at the end of the day, and customers must be present to claim their prizes.
Kinokuniya Lolita And Maid Fashion Day Event Schedule
- 10 AM: Kinokuniya Bookstore opens. The first 50 customers dressed in Lolita or Maid dresses or anime, manga, or video game cosplay will receive a Lolita and Maid Fashion Day Gift Bag including presents from Del Rey Manga, the New York Anime Festival, and VIZ Pictures.
- 10 AM to 3 PM: Lolita and Maid Fashion Day Tea Party. All customers who order a cup of tea from Kinokuniya's CafA(c) Zaiya between 10 AM and 3 PM will receive a complimentary assortment of Japanese treats along with their drink.
- 3 PM to 4 PM: An Introduction to Lolita and Maid Fashion. An overview of the diverse world of fashion in modern Japan. Lolitas and Maids are just the beginning.
- 4 PM to 4:30 PM: Akiba-Kei Music Scene. Maid fashion began in Tokyo's Akihabara. Samurai Beat Radio presents a look into Akihabara's music scene today, how it influenced Maid fashion, and how Maid fashion now influences Akihabara's music.
- 4:30 PM to 5 PM: A Reading from Maid Machinegun. Maid Machinegun, a new light novel from Del Rey Manga, follows the misadventures of Aaliyah, a recent recruit at one of Akihabara's busiest Maid CafA(c)s. Del Rey Manga presents an overview of the world of Maid Machinegun, including a special greeting from the author written just for today and selected readings from the book.
- 5 PM to 7 PM: Screening of Kamikaze Girls. Momoko is a super-sweet Lolita. Ichigo is a tough-talking thug. They couldn't have come from more different worlds, but somehow the two become the closest of friends and embark on the most incredible of adventures. Screened with permission from VIZ Pictures.
- 7 PM: Raffle Drawing. 100 books from Del Rey Manga and free tickets to the New York Anime Festival are just two of the prizes up for grabs in the Lolita and Maid Fashion Day Giveaway. Customers can enter all day long, and to win, they'll have to be present at 7 PM for the giveaway's drawing.
Kinokuniya Bookstore, Del Rey Manga, the New York Anime Festival, Samurai Beat Radio, and VIZ Pictures invite anime fans, Lolita and Maid fashionistas, and New Yorkers up for a unique and unforgettable experience to come out to Kinokuniya's first Lolita and Maid Fashion Day on Saturday, June 7!
Japanese Arts, Cooking, Fashion and Anime. More than a bookstore, Kinokuniya is a community where New Yorkers gather to relax, sit at a cafA(c), and meet internationally acclaimed writers and artists. Kinokuniya is the New York subsidiary of Kinokuniya Company, LTD, the world's leading Japanese bookstore which operates 84 stores internationally. Founded in 1927, Kinokuniya's first store opened in the Shinjuku district of Tokyo. Today, Kinokuniya has developed into a large-scale bookstore chain with the goal of providing Japanese living abroad with information from home as quickly as possible and introducing Japanese tradition and culture to the local community. For more information please visit the flagship US store location at 1073 Avenues of the Americas (between 40th and 41st Streets) or on the web at kinokuniya.com.
ABOUT DEL REY MANGA:
Del Rey Books (delreybooks.com) was founded in 1977 as an imprint of Ballantine Books, a division of the Random House Publishing Group, under the guidance of the renowned Judy-Lynn del Rey and her husband, Lester del Rey. Del Rey publishes the best of modern fantasy, science fiction, and alternate history. Ballantine Books is an imprint of the Random House Publishing Group, which is a publishing group of Random House, Inc, the US publishing company of Random House, the trade book publishing division of Bertelsmann AG, one of the world's leading international media companies. In 2004, it expanded by launching Del Rey Manga (delreymanga.com), which has grown to be a major force in the US graphic novel field. Bestselling titles include Tsubasa, Negima, xxxHolic, and The Wallflower.
ABOUT SAMURAI BEAT RADIO:
Samurai Beat Radio is the multimedia project which brings the world the latest and hottest music directly from Japan. It is broadcast on World Musix Live to 26 stations across Japan via Japan FM Network affiliated with Tokyo FM. Check out samuraibeatradio.com for past and future events and broadcasts.
ABOUT VIZ PICTURES:Based in San Francisco, CA, VIZ Pictures, Inc. distributes Japanese live-action films and DVDs, with particular focus on Japanese "kawaii (cute) and cool" pop culture. VIZ Pictures approaches each film release from a J-Pop fan's point of view and offers the most entertaining live-action motion pictures straight from the "Kingdom of Pop" for audiences of all ages in North America. VIZ Pictures, Inc. is an affiliate of VIZ Media, LLC, the San Francisco-based leading US publisher of Japanese manga (comics) and merchandise licensor of Japanese animation such as the popular Naruto animated TV series.
ABOUT THE NEW YORK ANIME FESTIVAL:
The New York Anime Festival takes place September 26-28, 2008 at the Jacob K. Javits Center in Midtown Manhattan and is organized by Reed Exhibitions, the creators of New York Comic Con. The New York Anime Festival showcases the best of anime pop culture, including the latest anime, manga, Japanese cinema, music, and games, and anime-influenced comics, animation, and films from around the world. The festival features exclusive and extensive screenings, a gala cosplay masquerade, sessions with the some of the biggest names in anime from Japan, Asia, and America, and explores the Japanese cultural experience with displays of both traditional and cutting-edge Japanese life. Further information can be found at newyorkanimefestival.com.
ABOUT REED EXHIBITIONS:
The New York Anime Festival is operated by Reed Exhibitions, the world's leading events organizer. In 2007, Reed brought together over six million industry professionals from around the world generating billions of dollars in business. Today, Reed events are held in 34 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia and organized by 37 global offices. Reed Exhibitions is part of Reed Elsevier Group plc, a FTSE-100 company and world-leading publisher and information provider. For more, visit reedexpo.com.