Official Press Release
BURBANK, CA – Kids' WB!, Sony Pictures Television (SPT) and Marvel Studios have launched an extensive marketing and promotional campaign to support the Spring 2008 premiere of the highly-anticipated The Spectacular Spider-Man television series. The all-new animated series will air within the Kids' WB! lineup on The CW Network, the No. 1 rated Saturday morning kids broadcast slate.
The Spectacular Spider-Man picks up the original web-slinger's mythology at the beginning of his hero's journey as a not-so-typical 16-year-old entering his junior year of high school. Peter Parker must conceal his secret identity, confront the multi-leveled pressures of teenage life at home and school, and all the while combat even bigger Super Villains than ever before. Based on Marvel Entertainment's popular Super Hero, The Spectacular Spider-Man is produced by Culver Entertainment, a Sony Pictures Television Company.
The marketing and promotional campaign will reach its targeted audience through an array of on-air, in-school, online and retail activities. Initial elements in the program have already begun to appear via fanboy convention participation (WonderCon, Comic-Con) and Kids' WB! on-air teasers. The primary effort began Saturday, September 22 during the premiere of the Kids' WB! 2007 fall lineup. These initiatives include:
* Starting in early 2008, Sony Pictures Television and Kids' WB!/The CW Network will launch an in-school Milk Media Campaign in 85% of all U.S. schools. The campaign will include localized tune-in information that will be featured on The Spectacular Spider-Man branded posters and book covers in the top 8-10 markets, as well as branding on nearly 40 million milk cartons.
* Kids' WB! hosted The Spectacular Spider-Man sweepstakes, giving away 100 not-yet-released Activision "Friend or Foe" video games every hour on Sept. 22. The "Friend or Foe" games will not be available at retail until October.
* A Kids' WB! on-air teaser campaign for the series has begun to run regularly until the series premieres in early 2008.
* An extensive "kid focused" online campaign – featuring The Spectacular Spider-Man – will be accessible at www.kidswb.com.
* A trailer for the series is featured on Sony Home Entertainment's Spider-Man 3 DVD available at Wal-Mart beginning October 30.
"This is a blockbuster series that we believe will become a centerpiece of the Kids' WB! lineup, and our aggressive marketing efforts, in conjunction with our partners at Sony and Marvel, are reflective of our belief in the quality of the show and its obvious fit within our action-oriented lineup," said by Kids' WB! Senior Vice President and General Manager Betsy McGowen.
"Once again, the outstanding stories of Spider-Man have given us an incredible opportunity to work with our partners at Kids' WB! and Marvel in spreading the word that this show will have a life on television, in stores and beyond. By hitting every level of the marketing landscape, we are focusing on bringing as much exposure in every possible way that will continue to keep Spider-Man front and center for years to come," said Sony Pictures Television Executive Vice President of Marketing, Robert Oswaks.
Spider-Man Merchandising L.P. is currently in discussions with industry leaders in most major product categories, as well with key retailers, to develop a full licensing and merchandising program to support the series and introduce this highly-anticipated new Spider-Man brand into the marketplace. Several deals are currently being finalized.
Spider-Man Merchandising, LP, the limited partnership comprised of Marvel Entertainment, Inc. and Sony Pictures Consumer Products Inc., oversees the licensing and merchandising activities for Columbia Pictures' Spider-Man™ feature films and animated series based on the Marvel character.