Director Steven Spielberg has confirmed he plans to begin filming the fifth installment of the Indiana Jones franchise in April 2019 in the United Kingdom.
“It’s always worth the trip when I get to work with this deep bench of talent coming out of the U.K.," the filmmaker said Sunday at the Empire Awards. "The actors, and the crew, the chippies, the sparks, the drivers — everybody who has helped me make my movies here, and will continue helping me make my movies here when I come back in April 2019 to make the fifth Indiana Jones movie right here.”
Spielberg's comments come two months after a report first surfaced that Indiana Jones 5 could be his next film, following the release of Ready Player One. Last year, Disney and Lucasfilm staked out July 10, 2020, for the long-awaited premiere of the action-adventure sequel.
Although speculation long swirled that 75-year-old Harrison Ford might be replaced as archaeologist-adventurer Indiana Jones, both Spielberg and producer Frank Marshall have insisted they’re not interested in recasting the role. “It’s certainly not my intention to ever have another actor step into his shoes in the way there have been many actors that have played Spider-Man or Batman,” Spielberg said in 2015. “There is only going to be one actor playing Indiana Jones, and that’s Harrison Ford.”
Few details are known about Indiana Jones 5, although screenwriter David Koepp (Jurassic Park) has ruled out the return of Shia LaBeouf as Indy’s son Mutt Williams, introduced in 2008’s Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. He also said that while franchise co-creator George Lucas remains as executive producer, he’s had no input on the film’s story.