The first Image Expo kicked off Friday in Oakland, California, with a keynote speech from Publisher Eric Stephenson that emphasized creator relationships as the company’s foundation, and laid out more than a half-dozen titles that will be announced this weekend for release later this year:
• Happy!, by Grant Morrison and Darick Robertson, a mysterious title the writer says is “in a genre I’ve never really tackled before — but with a bizarre twist, of course.” It’s the first of several potential Image projects from Morrison. [iFanboy]
• Confirmation of a third volume of Phonogram, by Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie and Matthew Wilson, called The Immaterial Girl. Gillen says the six-issue miniseries, which will likely debut in November, is “primarily about the war between coven queen witch Emily Aster and the half of her personality she sold to whatever lies on the other side of the screen. It’s about identity, eighties music videos and further explorations of Phonogram’s core ‘Music = Magic’ thesis. There is horror. There are jokes. There are emotions. There may even be a fight sequence. It also takes A-ha’s ‘Take On Me’ with far too much seriousness – which, for us, is the correct amount of seriousness.” [Kieron Gillen’s Workblog]
• Chin Music, by Steve Niles and Tony Harris, described by the artist as “a 1930’s Noir, Gangster, horror story.” [Tony Harris]
• Crime & Terror, by Steve Niles and Scott Morse.
• Mara, by Brian Wood, Ming Doyle and Jordie Bellaire, a six-issue sci-fi/superhero miniseries set in a few where a celebrity athlete manifests superpowers during a very public sporting event. [ComicsAlliance]
• Bedlam, a horror comic by Nick Spencer and Riley Rossmo, teased Friday on Comic Book Resources.
• Planetoid, by Ken Garing, a story about a marooned space pilot previously available as a digital comic on Graphicly. The five-issue miniseries debuts in June. [iFanboy]
• Confirmation of Black Kiss II, by Howard Chaykin, announced in July at Comic-Con International.
Check back with Comic Book Resources throughout the weekend for more coverage of Image Expo, and more details about the new titles.
UPDATE: Additional artwork has been added.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!