While many fans are excited for the return of "Star Trek" to television, some have undoubtedly questioned why the series won't premiere until next year, missing the 50th anniversary of the franchise. It turns out CBS isn't allowed to launch the show until six months after the July release of Paramount's "Star Trek Beyond."
As CBS Corporation chief Les Moonves explained earlier this week at the Deutsche Bank Media, Internet & Telecom Conference, the stipulation dates back a decade, to his company's split with Viacom.
"One of the big sticking points, as you can imagine, was 'Star Trek,'" he said. "You know, we both wanted it. [Paramount] said 'It's a movie!' and I said, 'No, no, no, it's a TV show.' Actually, we're both right. So they kept the feature film rights, we kept the television rights; they have ['Star Trek Beyond'] coming out July 22.
"Our deal with them is that we had to wait six months after their film is launched so there wouldn't be a confusion in the marketplace."
Announced in November, the television reboot will be overseen by Alex Kurtzman and Bryan Fuller, with "Wrath of Khan" director Nicholas Meyer serving as a writer-producer. The series will premiere early next year on the network's digital platform CBS All Access.