The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation has announced the nominees for its 27th GLAAD Media Awards, which recognize media — including comic books — for their “fair, accurate and inclusive” representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.
After being shut out in 2015 for the first time since the comic book category premiered in 2003, DC Comics returns with two titles — Harley Quinn and Midnighter — while Lumberjanes earns its second nomination in as many years. They’re joined by Angela: Queen of Hel and The Wicked + The Divine, which make their GLAAD Media Awards debuts.
In addition, The CW’s Arrow was nominated for outstanding drama series, while Late Night with Seth Meyers earned a nod for outstanding talk show episode for its segment with cartoonist Alison Bechdel.
It’s worth noting that, for the first time in the comic category’s history, both writers and artists are listed in this year’s nominations.
Here’s the full breakdown of the outstanding comic book nominees:
• Angela: Queen of Hel, by Marguerite Bennett, Kim Jacinto, Israel Silva and Stephanie Hans (Marvel)
• Harley Quinn, by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, Chad Hardin, John Timms and Jed Dougherty (DC Comics)
• Lumberjanes, by Noelle Stevenson, Shannon Watters, Kat Leyh, Carolyn Nowak and Brooke Allen (BOOM! Studios)
• Midnighter, by Steve Orlando, Aco, Hugh Petrus, Alec Morgan and Stephen Mooney (DC Comics)
• The Wicked + The Divine, by Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie, Kate Brown and Tula Lotay (Image Comics)
The winners of the GLAAD Media Awards will be presented at ceremonies held in Los Angeles (April 2) and New York City (May 14).
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!