The Los Angeles Times Book Prize judges have released their list of finalists for the 2011 prizes, and here are the five nominees for best graphic novel:
- I Will Bite You! And Other Stories, by Joseph Lambert (Secret Acres)
- Celluloid, by Dave McKean (Fantagraphics)
- Finder: Voice, by Carla Speed McNeil (Dark Horse)
- Congress of the Animals, by Jim Woodring (Fantagraphics)
- Garden, by Yuichi Yokoyama (PictureBox)
This is only the third year that there has been a graphic novel category, and it's worth noting that this is the second time one of Jim Woodring's books has been a finalist; last year it was Weathercraft. Also, while the selection is quite eclectic, five out of the 15 nominees in the past three years have been from Fantagraphics, which gives an inkling of the judges' tastes.