Star Wars creator George Lucas has admitted that fans would've hated his plans for a sequel trilogy. The filmmaker once hoped to direct Episodes VII-IX, and even sold his ideas for a seventh movie to Disney when it purchased Lucasfilm in 2012.
Although Lucas is remembered for the highs of the original Skywalker trilogy, he was also responsible for the often maligned Episodes I-III and the creation of Jar Jar Binks. He had mapped out a storyline for where Luke Skywalker would head next, but his ideas for Episode VII weren't what Disney wanted, and the studio instead moved ahead with what became The Force Awakens. With The Force Awakens becoming one of only four movies to ever the $2 billion mark, Lucas admits that abandoning his trilogy was the right thing to do.
Interviewed for a companion book to James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction series, Lucas revealed, "a lot of fans would have hated it."
As far as I've seen, these are the first specifics George Lucas has shared about what his vision of Episodes 7-9 would have been. This comes from @insighteditions awesome companion book to "James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction series" on AMC: pic.twitter.com/Wtlw8zlrqv— Livio Ramondelli (@LivioRamondelli) June 12, 2018
Explaining why his continuing arc would've been controversial, Lucas said he wanted to go into "a microbiotic world" populated by creatures called Whills that fed off the Force. He compared his finale trilogy to The Phantom Menace, which famously divided fans in 1999. Wanting to take the Skywalker saga on a different tangent, Lucas said it would've happened if he'd been given the chance and he wanted to tell his story from beginning to end.
Despite saying many fans would "hate" his Episodes VII-IX, Lucas' words echo some fans' feelings toward last year's Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Audiences seemed to have either loved or hated Rian Johnson's movie, with some even saying that it should be scrubbed from canon. However, even though The Last Jedi delved deeper into the mythology of the light and dark sides of the Force like Lucas wanted to do, it was still ultimately a battle between the Resistance and the First Order.
The billionaire has spoken about the newer movies, and despite praising The Last Jedi and Solo: A Star Wars Story, he has said the current iteration of Star Wars leans too heavily on fan service instead of exploring new worlds. Ultimately, audiences will never know how Lucas' third trilogy would've fared. As it stands, there is still one more chapter of the Disney trilogy when J.J. Abrams brings Episode IX to theaters next year.
Episode IX is set to arrive in theaters on Dec. 20, 2019. The movie will star Daisy Ridley as Rey, John Boyega as Finn, Adam Driver as Kylo Ren and Oscar Isaac as Poe Dameron.