Warren Ellis’ return to the WildStorm Universe is imminent, and to get fans even more stoked about the writer’s upcoming title, “The Wild Stomr,” DC Comics has released the first look at series artist Jon Davis-Hunt’s pages the first issue. Additionally, the publisher has shared the debut issue’s variant covers by Jim Lee and Tula Lotay.
“[Ellis] always got what this universe was all about,” Jim Lee said in late 2016 of the writer’s approach to the characters. “They always existed on the fringes.” By taking the characters out of the DCU-proper, and Taking them back out of the broader DCU, Ellis is recreating the cast of books like “WildC.A.T.S” and “StormWatch” while bringing in slight tweaks from their original ’90s versions. “He’s telling one big story in this particular title, and he’s layering ideas into these other books.”
“After long reflection, I couldn’t turn down the invitation to renovate the house that Jim Lee built, and refit its unique combination of cosmic paranoia and paramilitary conspiracy for the post-political space madness of the twenty-teens,” Ellis said when the relaunch was first announced. “Looking back to look forward.”
Check out the preview of Ellis and Davis-Hunt’s “The Wild Storm” #1 and Lee and Lotay’s variants, along with the first issue’s solicitation text, below. “The Wild Storm” #1 drives in stores Wednesday, Feb. 15.
THE WILD STORM #1
- Written by WARREN ELLIS • Art and cover by JON DAVIS-HUNT • Variant cover by TULA LOTAY • 1:50 variant by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS • 1:100 pencils-only variant by JIM LEE
- Retailers: This issue will ship with four covers. Please see the order form for details.
- A troubled woman, barred by her employer from continuing her research, walks miserably through New York City. It takes her a moment to notice that everybody else is looking up. A man has been thrown from the upper floor of the Halo skyscraper. And that woman—Angela Spica, sick from the transhuman implants she’s buried in her own body—is the only person who can save him. What she doesn’t know is that the act of saving that one man will tip over a vast and secret house of cards that encloses the entire world, if not the inner solar system. This is how the Wild Storm begins, and it may destroy covert power structures, secret space programs and even all of human history.
- New York Times best-selling writer Warren Ellis (TRANSMETROPOLITAN, RED, THE AUTHORITY) returns to DC to curate Jim Lee’s WildStorm world, with this debut issue resetting the WildStorm universe with new iterations of Grifter, Voodoo, the Engineer, Jenny Sparks and others.
- “I couldn’t be more excited to see these characters that are so near and dear to me reintroduced under the guiding hand of Warren Ellis. WildStorm represents an incredibly fun and exciting period in my career, and I can’t wait to see what Warren and Jon have in store for fans in February.”—Jim Lee, DC Comics Co-Publisher
- On sale FEBRUARY 15 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!