The finalists have been announced for the 2014 Children and Young Adult Bloggers’ Literary Awards, better known as the Cybils.
Established to recognize children's and young-adult authors and illustrators, the Cybils are selected through a process that involves public nominations, publisher submissions and then, finally, a judging committee. The winners will be announced Feb. 14.
Here are the finalists in the graphic novel divisions:
- Bad Machinery: The Case of the Good Boy, by John Allison (Oni Press)
- Bird & Squirrel on Ice, by James Burks (Graphix)
- El Deafo, by Cece Bell (Harry N. Abrams)
- Gaijin: American Prisoner of War, by Matt Faulkner (Disney-Hyperion)
- Hidden: A Child’s Story of the Holocaust, by Loic Dauvillier (First Second)
- The Dumbest Idea Ever!, by Jimmy Gownley (Graphix)
- Ballad, by Blexbolex (Enchanted Lion Books)
- In Real Life, by Cory Doctorow and Jen Wang (First Second)
- Strange Fruit, Volume I: Uncelebrated Narratives from Black History, by Joel Christian Gill (Fulcrum Press)
- The Harlem Hellfighters, by Max Brooks and Canaan White (Broadway Books)
- The Shadow Hero, by Gene Luen Yang and Sonny Liew (First Second)
- Through the Woods, by Emily Carroll (Margaret K. McElderry)
- To This Day: For the Bullied and Beautiful, by Shane Koyczan (Annick Press)