The finalists have been announced for the 2013 Doug Wright Awards, which recognize the best in English-language comics by Canadians. The awards are named for Doug Wright, the late cartoonist whose strip Doug Wright’s Family appeared for more than 30 years in newspapers across the country.
What’s more, organizers have released Ethan Rilly‘s poster for the ninth annual awards ceremony, which will be held May 11 in conjunction with the Toronto Comics Art Festival. Rilly, who won the 2012 award for best book, is nominated again this year in that category. The finalists are:
- Lose #4 by Michael DeForge (Koyama Press)
- By This Shall You Know Him by Jesse Jacobs (Koyama Press)
- The Song of Roland by Michel Rabagliati (Conundrum Press)
- Pope Hats #3 by Ethan Rilly (AdHouse Books)
- Wax Cross by Tin Can Forest (Koyama Press
Spotlight Award (recognizing talent deserving wider recognition)
- Nina Bunjevac for Heartless (Conundrum Press)
- Brandon Graham for King City (Image Comics)
- Patrick Kyle for Black Mass, Distance Mover, Wowee Zonk #4
- George Walker for The Mysterious Death of Tom Thomson (The Porcupine’s Quill)
- Eric Kostiuk Williams for Hungry Bottom Comics
Pigskin Peters Award (recognizing the best in avant-garde or experimental comics)
- Hamilton Illustrated by David Collier (Wolsak & Wynn)
- Hellberta #2 and “Sir Softly” from š! #12, by Michael Comeau
- Michael DeForge, Larry Eisenstein, Jesse Jacobs, Mark Laliberte (editor), Marc Ngui, Ethan Rilly, Tin Can Forest and Magda Trzaski for 4PANEL, a special comics features in Carousel Magazine #28 and #29
- Ginette Lapalme for “So, what should we do with ourselves?…” from Wowee Zonk #4 and “Little Stump” in š! #12
Quebec cartoonist Albert Chartier, known for such comic strips as Séraphin, Les Canadiens and Onésime, also will be posthumously inducted into The Giants of the North: The Canadian Cartoonists Hall of Fame.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!