The Doug Wright Awards have announced their finalists for 2011. Established in 2004 and named after cartoonist Doug Wright, the awards recognize Canadian comics and graphic novels.
The nominees for Best Book are:
* Bigfoot by Pascal Girard (Drawn and Quarterly)
* Chimo by David Collier (Conundrum Press)
* Lose #2 by Michael DeForge (Koyama Press)
* Moving Pictures by Kathryn Immonen, Stuart Immonen (Top Shelf Productions)
* Streakers by Nick Maandag
The nominees for Best Emerging Talent are:
* Aaron Costain, Entropy # 5
* Alex Fellows, Spain and Morocco
* Keith Jones, Catland Empire (Drawn and Quarterly)
* James Stokoe, Orc Stain Volume One (Image)
* Tin Can Forest (aka Marek Colek and Pat Shewchuk),Baba Yaga and the Wolf (Koyama Press)
The nominees for the Pigskin Peters Award (which recognizes non-traditional and avant-garde comics) are:
* Indoor Voice by Jillian Tamaki (Drawn and Quarterly)
* Stooge Pile by Seth Scriver (Drawn and Quarterly)
* So I’ve Been Told by Maryanna Hardy (Conundrum Press)
* Spotting Deer by Michael DeForge (Koyama Press)
* Wowee Zonk #3 edited by Patrick Kyle, Ginette Lapalme and Chris Kuzma (Koyama Press)
This year’s inductee into The Giants of the North, the Canadian Cartoonists Hall of Fame, will be Vancouver cartoonist David Boswell, the creator of the 1980s alternative comic Reid Fleming: World’s Toughest Milkman.
Winners will be chosen by a jury that includes musician Sara Quin of the band Tegan and Sara; poet Michael Redhill, publisher of the literary journal Brick; artist Anita Kunz; Marc Bell, who won an award last year; and Mark Medley, National Post books editor. They’ll be presented at the 2011 Toronto Comics Arts Festival, scheduled for May 7.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!