A BLAST FROM MY ANTHROPOMORPHIC PAST
I unearthed an envelope of art I did 20 years ago that, for some reason, I feel the need to post in this column. This might be fun. It might be clever. It could be embarrassing.
Yeah, I’m betting mostly on that last part.
But I prefer the term “transparency.” Let’s take a look at where my artistic mind was in the early 90s:
MORE RECENT ART, SANS ANIMAL HEADS
I draw a lot while watching TV. That often results in me hitting pause and taking too long to watch a one hour show. I can’t help it. I see gestures and angles now that interest me. I want to draw them.
I was only a few episodes into my “Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD” marathon when I had to take a turn with some of those characters. Here are three of them:
A TRIP DOWN HOLLYWOOD MEMORY LANE
- The May posts from Not Blog X have unearthed some great “Death of Superman” era videos and specials. See Jim Shooter and John Byrne comment! (The video from the 1992 Mid Ohio Con is a startling example of how conventions have changed over the years.) See Mike Carlin on Entertainment Tonight! See “Wizard” make a special edition out of the whole thing. Of course.
- Comicraft’s John Roshell shows how he created the “Angry Birds” logo. Spoiler: He used a Sharpie.
- Joe Quesada shares a video of Doctor Strange’s house, as drawn in Sketchup.
- I saw “Avengers: Age of Ultron” in 3D, as I wanted to see it. I wish the screen had been a little brighter to compensate for the 3D, but I know how it goes. Yes, I like 3D. In fact, I like 3D more than I like IMAX, which gives me a screen too big to see the whole image on — on purpose! So I get a headache and neck pains for the “pleasure” of seeing a movie at a really big size. No thanks. This is why I’m slightly worried by the news that the next Avengers films are filming on IMAX cameras…
- The latest edition of the “Surviving Creativity” podcast is worth it just for the first 15 minutes or so when they riff off “1984” and modern internet speak. The rest of it is really good, too…
- Have to wrap the column up early this week to start the pre-game festivities for tonight’s two hour season finale of “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” It’ll be a long summer without the show…
- Tweet of the week:
“‘Cheers’ was kind of like the Avengers for Frasier.”
— David Lally (@davidmlally) May 9, 2015
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!