With Ahab continuing to hunt Charles Xavier's original, younger X-Men through the timestream, every X-Men team in existence is called to arms in Extermination #3. And as Marvel's solicitation for the September issue reveals, young Jean Grey will call upon a classic team from the '90s to act as her personal bodyguards.
The Mark Brooks cover for Extermination #3 features Jean Grey charging into battle alongside Cannonball, Domino, Boom Boom, Warpath and Shatterstar, better known as the lineup from Rob Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza's X-Force, which debuted in 1991 and saw Cable convert the New Mutants into a more proactive, militaristic group.
Just as the solicit for Extermination #3 teases "every X-Men team," writer Ed Brisson also spoke of the event's importance and connection to past issues of Uncanny X-Men in an interview with Marvel.com. “Our mandate going into this was, ‘Your back issues matter,'” Brisson said. “Every single Uncanny X-Men story involving the Original Five X-Men matters. If the X-Men are here, then they’re not where they’re supposed to be, fighting those they’re supposed to fight. What happens when that past starts to unravel? What’s the butterfly effect on our present?”
The cover and solicitation text for September's Extermination #3 can be found below:
EXTERMINATION #3 (OF 5)
- ED BRISSON (W) • PEPE LARRAZ (A)
- Cover by MARK BROOKS
- CONNECTING VARIANT COVER BY MIKE HAWTHORNE (3 OF 5)
- VARIANT COVER BY RON GARNEY
- With Ahab hunting the time-traveling X-Men, it’s all hands on deck, as every X-Men team is called to arms and protect the remaining young mutants.
- But young Jean Grey and her bodyguards aren’t going to lie still for Ahab to come to them…
- 32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99