In February, fans will finally see what Mark Russell and Mirko Colak are cooking up in their new Red Sonja series, as Dynamite Entertainment places the iconic female barbarian on a throne.
Of course, you can't expect more of the same approach toward the She-Devil with a sword from the man responsible for updating the modern Stone Age family in DC's Flintstones, or giving unexpected depth to classic cartoon character Snagglepuss. We asked Russell how his approach to Red Sonja will differ from how she's been presented in the past.
“My approach to Sonja will be different in that it will be rooted more in actual characters and events in ancient history," Russell told CBR. "That, and as queen, she will be forced to fight more with her mind. Using leadership, strategy and deception to outflank and defeat her foes, more than her sword and physical strength.”
While Russell's answer does indicate that this is going to be a more cerebral version of the character, we expect she'll still be as quick as ever to cut your throat should you cross her. She is a warrior who has taken Conan to his limits, after all.
Check out CBR's exclusive gallery of cover art for Red Sonja #1, below.
RED SONJA #1
- (W) Mark Russell (A) Mirko Colak (CA) Amanda Conner
- No man knows the place of her birth, nor where she learned to wield a sword to shame many a male. They know only that she is called The She-Devil of The Hyrkanian Steppes. That, and RED SONJA. MARK RUSSELL (The Flintstones) and MIRKO COLAK (Conan) bring a savage tale of metal and blood. A world conqueror possesses a massive army and a fatal prophecy. A bastard sorceress craves revenge. And a fearsome red-haired warrior is made wartime ruler of a homeland set for decimation.
- In Shops: Feb 06, 2019
- SRP: $3.99
- Cover B is Joseph Michael Linsner
- Cover C is Christian Ward
- Cover D is Frank Cho
- Cover E is cosplayer Jeska Rose