The preview is from the lead story, also called "Athos in America," a prequel of sorts to Jason's The Last Musketeer. The swashbuckler from that tale shows up in a New York bar in 1920s New York to relate the tale of how he went to Hollywood to play himself in the film The Three Musketeers.
This volume also includes:
- “The Smiling Horse,” in which the characters from the story “&” in Low Moon attempts to kidnap a woman.
- “The Brain That Wouldn’t Virginia Woolf,” a mash-up of The Brain That Wouldn’t Die and Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf, told in reverse chronological order.
- The Bukowski pastiche “A Cat From Heaven” in which Jason works on his comic, has a reading in a comic book store, gets drunk and makes a fool of himself.
- The dialogue-free (all the text occurs in thought balloons) “Tom Waits on the Moon,” in which we follow four people (one of them a scientist working on a teleportation machine) until something goes wrong.
- “So Long Mary Ann,” a prison-escape love-triangle story.
This collection of stories comes out in February. Check out the preview below.